Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux Gaming Performance Can Be Impaired By STIBP, But Hope May Be On The Horizon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Gaming Performance Can Be Impaired By STIBP, But Hope May Be On The Horizon

Phoronix: Linux Gaming Performance Can Be Impaired By STIBP, But Hope May Be On The Horizon

It's been a busy past few days of benchmarking after discovering earlier this week the Linux 4.20 performance was dropping, bisecting the cause to be the introduction of STIBP for cross-hyperthread Spectre V2 mitigation, and seeing just how significant is the impact. Here are my latest tests and findings...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hope the wife makes a full recovery Michael !
    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Hope your wife is ok.
      Last edited by tomtomme; 18 November 2018, 02:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
        Hope the wife makes a full recovery Michael !
        Thanks, appears to be appendicitis.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Michael, I really appreciate that you work seemingly around the clock to provide Linux news and insights. It's great. But this is not the time. Go take care of your wife. Sit by her side, be with her. The Internet will be there waiting for more news and reviews and testing. You can always please the Internet at a later date. Your wife needs you now. Consider prioritizing her.

Comment

+1 haven't posted in a while but I wish your wife a speedy recovery! Thanks for all your amazing work, but do consider taking a bit of time for both of you

Comment

+1

Michael, take the time you need to look after your wife; the work will still be there when you get home.

Trust me, I am a slowly reforming workaholic. I am trying to relearn the concept of "enjoy life and the loved ones around you".

Comment

Geesh!! Let the guy decide how he wants to live his life!

Hope the appendectomy goes fine, with a short postop. On the bright side, having your appendix remove leads to smaller probability of developing Parkinson's (http://stm.sciencemag.org/content/10/465/eaar5280).

Comment

I hope your wife gets better soon Michael.

Comment

What constitutes "non-security-sensitive applications"? I don't want some script kiddie stealing my Steam account. The performance loss in these benchmarks are quite minor, but measurable I'll admit.

Comment

Working...
                    X