Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GNOME 3.32 Mutter Should Perform A Lot Better For DisplayLink/USB-Display Type Setups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 3.32 Mutter Should Perform A Lot Better For DisplayLink/USB-Display Type Setups

Phoronix: GNOME 3.32 Mutter Should Perform A Lot Better For DisplayLink/USB-Display Type Setups

An improvement was merged today to GNOME's Mutter compositor / window manager that should allow it to perform much better in multi-GPU setups, particularly for scenarios where the display is driven via a USB-based DisplayLink adapter...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Gnome Shell 3.28 worked fine with Thinkpad Helix X1 1gen tablet (it's Haswell-based) and ThinkPad USB 3.0 Dock (DisplayLink-based). However, with DisplayLink-based there is always room for improvement, as image get compressed on CPU before pushing it to DisplayLink chip inside the docking station - so every optimization counts.

Comment

I logged in just to ask who cares about gnome.

Comment

Originally posted by rmoog View Post
        Cool! You're now free to log out!

Comment

Does this change affect the performance of eGPUs?

Comment

Does someone know if all these gnome performance improvements will be backported to ubuntu 18.04 lts or even complete new versions provided at any time?

Something like the hwe stack for the desktop would be cool: if it works on ubuntu 18.10 without any bugs then release gnome 3.30.x on ubuntu 18.04.2 in february.

I like the stability of ubuntu lts... but knowing that one has to wait at least 2 years for these improvements is hard :/

Comment

Originally posted by rmoog View Post
              Apparently you care enough.

Comment

Originally posted by zaphod_ View Post
                Does someone know if all these gnome performance improvements will be backported to ubuntu 18.04 lts or even complete new versions provided at any time?

Something like the hwe stack for the desktop would be cool: if it works on ubuntu 18.10 without any bugs then release gnome 3.30.x on ubuntu 18.04.2 in february.

I like the stability of ubuntu lts... but knowing that one has to wait at least 2 years for these improvements is hard :/
                There's soon to be Mint 19.1 Cinnamon, and roughly six months later 19.2 Cinnamon and so on. Although I can't speak for whether this new improvement would be ported to the version of Cinnamon in 19.2. And, they don't give a shit about Wayland but I don't either - I'm sure they do care some but they don't want to push half-working, half-finished half-broken things on users. If you're ok with that it may be worth trying 19.1 out, it's supposed to be much faster than 19.0.
                Till now I stayed out of everything based on the Gnome 3 graphics stack basically.

Comment

Working...
                X