Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clear Linux Making Progress With Encrypted Installations

Phoronix: Clear Linux Making Progress With Encrypted Installations

Intel's Clear Linux distribution is making progress on their new installer, including the ability to (finally) carry out encrypted installations...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Did you ever hear about SED and sedutil? https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...rypting_Drives
    It's full disk hardware encryption, completely transparent to your OS.
    If you're not afraid of the SSD firmware you can use it to encrypt your data. When booting you will load a small Linux kernel which prompts for a password, then it will reboot and load the true bootloader. I use it to encrypt my Windows PCs and my Linux desktops. For the laptop I also use software encryption on top of it.
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Michael, are you OK with not being able to use proprietary codecs (like h264) on Clear Linux? That was what really prevented it from being my daily driver. Lots of online sites just refused to use open codecs and I feel like that's a large feature to give up when I can use Gentoo, Arch, or Solus instead!

Comment

Originally posted by OpenSourceAnarchist View Post
        Michael, are you OK with not being able to use proprietary codecs (like h264) on Clear Linux? That was what really prevented it from being my daily driver. Lots of online sites just refused to use open codecs and I feel like that's a large feature to give up when I can use Gentoo, Arch, or Solus instead!
        Doesn't really bother me. The only time I watch video content is usually conference session recordings and they tend to be on YouTube playing fine with HTML5.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

IMHO encryption is not the last step to make clear linux usable ---> mdraid is missing. I would never use a machine without raid data protection.

Comment

Working...
          X