DXVK 0.93 Released With Fixes For Overwatch, Dark Souls III, Quantum Break

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DXVK 0.93 Released With Fixes For Overwatch, Dark Souls III, Quantum Break

Phoronix: DXVK 0.93 Released With Fixes For Overwatch, Dark Souls III, Quantum Break

For those doing some US holiday weekend gaming or testing out any new Steam Play games from the Steam Autumn Sale, DXVK 0.93 is out today as the project's latest feature release for mapping Direct3D 10/11 to Vulkan on Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I want my games properly ported.

#NoTuxNoBux

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

#NoTuxNoBux
      They're gladly getting my bux right now. I just want my games playable on Linux at native or near-native performance.

DXVK/Wine/Steam Play has been nothing short of amazing, what's the problem exactly? I would've never thought the entire universe of games would have came to Linux so fast. And Feral has been taking care of the important game ports and still driving those forward to make sure that's "still a thing."

Highly recommend every check out that Steam sale. So many titles on sale. Picked up last night:

F1 2018 at $29.99 instead of $59.99
      Witcher III GOTY edition for $19.99 instead of $49.99
      Batman: Arkham City GOTY edition - $4.99 instead of $19.99
      Battlefield: Bad Company 2 - $4.99 instead of $19.99

All of them working in Steam Play. ProtonDB has been incredibly helpful in finding out "what works, what doesn't." I'm about to go add an entry on how to get Bad Company 2 running as none of the entries had me covered.

Things are only going to get better, so let's be a little more patient, appreciative, and supportive of the people making this happen.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

#NoTuxNoBux
        Having your 1000 compatibility layers compiled into the game binary or residing in separate files makes no real difference. Make sure you don't get fooled. Games ported by Feral and friends aren't much different from running stuff in Proton. Same code paths being structured differently.

Pure native would be nice, but even windows games tend to be more console code wrapped into windows APIs than being designed for windows.

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
          They're gladly getting my bux right now. I just want my games playable on Linux at native or near-native performance.

DXVK/Wine/Steam Play has been nothing short of amazing, what's the problem exactly? I would've never thought the entire universe of games would have came to Linux so fast. And Feral has been taking care of the important game ports and still driving those forward to make sure that's "still a thing."

Things are only going to get better, so let's be a little more patient, appreciative, and supportive of the people making this happen.
          I overall agree with your entire message, but there is actually a problem at hand - these things discourage devs from doing native ports, at least on the surface that's the case. Unless Valve gives out incentives for devs to do native ports (or at the very least, get a game on the Proton whitelist), we might see a decline in native ports. Feral can only do so much, and besides, not all of their ports are done very well.

At least one very good thing is I've heard playing games in Proton still count as statistics toward Linux. This matters quite a bit. Overall, I think Proton will be a boon to the Linux gaming community, but only if Valve plays their cards right.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post

Having your 1000 compatibility layers compiled into the game binary or residing in separate files makes no real difference. Make sure you don't get fooled. Games ported by Feral and friends aren't much different from running stuff in Proton. Same code paths being structured differently.

Pure native would be nice, but even windows games tend to be more console code wrapped into windows APIs than being designed for windows.
            Yeah I find that to be the funniest part, they just want to be able to do ./native_binary and have that satisfaction. To me, that's what Steam Play has essentially accomplished. I'm really impressed it's one-click and play. The low-level DX->VK translation has to make everyone feel good.

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
            I overall agree with your entire message, but there is actually a problem at hand - these things discourage devs from doing native ports, at least on the surface that's the case. Unless Valve gives out incentives for devs to do native ports (or at the very least, get a game on the Proton whitelist), we might see a decline in native ports. Feral can only do so much, and besides, not all of their ports are done very well.

At least one very good thing is I've heard playing games in Proton still count as statistics toward Linux. This matters quite a bit. Overall, I think Proton will be a boon to the Linux gaming community, but only if Valve plays their cards right.
            I totally agree, and it's the chicken and the egg problem. Your last point about statistics counting towards Linux will prove we do have a voice in the gaming space. "No Tux No Bux" does actually nothing to help the problem.

Porting only helps on a game-by-game basis. Allowing DX10/11 -> VK basically made everything within possibility. Much better solution until we catch up, then we can start hopefully building all our games on top of Vulkan.

Comment

DXVK remains a noticeable amount behind native Windows performance and it looks like it's tanking now. It has received much hope and praise, but unless DXVK can get within 90%-95% of the Windows performance, and also fix its micro stuttering, will it leave gamers wanting for better.

I stay with dual-boot. Properly ported games and more Vulkan games remain a big dream for me, too.

Comment

@thread

Does anyone know if there are any plans for DXVK to support D3D12? I know there's VKD3D but since DXVK supports D3D10 and D3D11, I would think support for D3D12 would be a logical inclusion...

Comment

Originally posted by parityboy View Post
                  D3D10 and D3D11, I would think support for D3D12 would be a logical inclusion...
                  No, it won't. D3D10 and 11 are basically the same api, d3d12 is completely different.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post

This. I am so surprised reading about Linux users complaining that a Proton release is not "native". Guys, you are supposed to know better than that. You are supposed to have some technical knowledge. You know these AAA ports companies like Feral do are using wrappers, right? They are not "native" ports, not in the definition you are giving the word "native" anyway... They do not change the engine to natively work on Linux and/or OpenGL/Vulkan. They are using custom-made software layers for that... How is WINE/DXVK/Proton any different? The only difference is that Feral's layer is custom-made for the game at hand and quality-assured, while WINE is a more generic solution provided as-is with no guarantee it will work without issues. That's about it.
                    Last edited by TemplarGR; 25 November 2018, 09:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X