Necunos Mobile: A New Open-Source Linux Phone With KDE Plasma Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Necunos Mobile: A New Open-Source Linux Phone With KDE Plasma Mobile

Phoronix: Necunos Mobile: A New Open-Source Linux Phone With KDE Plasma Mobile

Most of those wanting an open-source, GNU/Linux-based smartphone have been looking forward to Purism's Librem 5 that will hopefully be shipping in 2019. But now a new option appears to be jumping on the scene: the Necunos Mobile developed by Necuno Solutions in cooperation with the KDE camp...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

no hardware and software data.

Comment

Michael, you listed WiFi twice.

WiFi, "possibly" LTE cellular, WiFi

It'll be interesting to see what this becomes as more information becomes available.

I'm pretty much an exclusive Plasma user these days so it'll be nice to have a mobile device that has a similar look and feel to my desktop and integrates well with it; the current Plasma/mobile solutions are coming along nicely, IMHO, and this should make it even better. Also because my current phone, an LG G3, is getting pretty dated and I don't really want iOS or Ad-droid...I used to love Android and roms and all that...

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
        no hardware and software data.
        A quad core i.MX6 and a 5.5" display aren't hardware data?
        Running the 4.14 kernel and KDE mobile aren't software data?

Of course, there is more to know, but this is still enough to pique someone's interest or not.

Comment

Count me in. Though micro-USB rather than USB-C is a disappointment.

Comment

explicit kernel version implies no vanilla/upstream.
            Missing Bluetooth? Omission I hope...
            "Oldish" i.MX6 -> no x265 decoding?

Awesome that another one is springing up, but I'll stay with Librem...

Comment

Originally posted by Serafean View Post
              explicit kernel version implies no vanilla/upstream.
              Missing Bluetooth? Omission I hope...
              "Oldish" i.MX6 -> no x265 decoding?

Awesome that another one is springing up, but I'll stay with Librem...
              Actually it seems that it doesn't have the bluetooth indeed: https://necunos.com/mobile/
              By the way, these Linux mobile phones must be sold at budget price to begin, I will never buy a Librem5 for 600 bucks...

Comment

The average $80 tablet has better hardware... no bluetooth is a dealbreaker probably not difficult to add via one of the USB HSIC ports. I won't be supprised if that iMX. 6 chip is EOL before it starts shipping.
                Last edited by cb88; 29 November 2018, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Danielsan View Post
                  Actually it seems that it doesn't have the bluetooth indeed: https://necunos.com/mobile/
                  Nothing on this page suggests that Bluetooth would be omitted. That's basically unthinkable.

Originally posted by Danielsan View Post
                  By the way, these Linux mobile phones must be sold at budget price to begin, I will never buy a Librem5 for 600 bucks...
                  Maybe for you, but freedom of software is worth a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by genstorm View Post
                    Nothing on this page suggests that Bluetooth would be omitted. That's basically unthinkable.

Maybe for you, but freedom of software is worth a lot.
                    The Specifications

Connectivity:
                    Kernel: Linux 4.14 LTS
                    Manufactured: Finland

Availability: To be announced

If I read the specs and I don't see the bluetooth I imply it doesn't have it but it has the ethernet...
                    Freedom is absolutely worth to pursue but I believe the best strategy is spreading out the linux phones because are cheap with added value of the freedom!

Comment

Working...
                    X