5/2.5Gb Ethernet To USB Aquantia AQtion Driver Coming For Linux 4.21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5/2.5Gb Ethernet To USB Aquantia AQtion Driver Coming For Linux 4.21

Phoronix: 5/2.5Gb Ethernet To USB Aquantia AQtion Driver Coming For Linux 4.21

Now queued in the networking subsystem's "-next" branch ahead of the Linux 4.21 cycle is the Aquantia AQtion driver, which is for new hardware supporting USB-based 2.5Gb and 5Gb Ethernet support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does Realtek offer 5Gb? If not, I wonder why. Sure, I love the concept of 10Gb, but mostly, 2.5 or 5Gb would be great. 5Gb would really change things. But I refuse to pay hundreds of dollars for a single port, when I can get a 4-port 1Gb ethernet card for $50-60. The single-port cards need to be under $40 for any other solution to take off.

BTW Micheal, don't you ever sleep? Watch your health. I think you're a family man now. Don't burn the candle on both ends.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyChow View Post
      Does Realtek offer 5Gb? If not, I wonder why. Sure, I love the concept of 10Gb, but mostly, 2.5 or 5Gb would be great. 5Gb would really change things. But I refuse to pay hundreds of dollars for a single port, when I can get a 4-port 1Gb ethernet card for $50-60. The single-port cards need to be under $40 for any other solution to take off.

BTW Micheal, don't you ever sleep? Watch your health. I think you're a family man now. Don't burn the candle on both ends.
      2.5/5G should really take off in 2019 it's looking like, for consumer products...

Yes I usually try to sleep 5~6 hours a day. I have a wife and dogs, but that's been the case for years.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

As soon as 8 port 5 gigabit switches become reasonably priced, I'm converting my network.

Comment

Ideally Mesa 18.3.0 will ship next week unless blocker bug issues persist.
          I must admit, I didn't really understand what that sentence was doing in this context ?

Comment

my body is readeeeeeeeh!!!!

If these things end out at a decent price they are going to sell like hot cakes.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyChow View Post
              Does Realtek offer 5Gb? If not, I wonder why.
              they focus on cheap designs and low power, Aquantia (or Intel for that matter) is not. They have shown a 2.5Gb chipset that is likely to go in Asrock gaming boards (that said they are going to use 2.5 Gb eth) in the near future.

If they don't suck balls (which isn't certain, because reasons), next year they are probably going to roll in all high end boards, and the year after that we should be seeing 5Gb

Comment

Unless this uses old cat5e cabling, I don't understand the purpose of this rather that the 10 gbit we currently have.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  they focus on cheap designs and low power, Aquantia (or Intel for that matter) is not. They have shown a 2.5Gb chipset that is likely to go in Asrock gaming boards (that said they are going to use 2.5 Gb eth) in the near future.

If they don't suck balls (which isn't certain, because reasons), next year they are probably going to roll in all high end boards, and the year after that we should be seeing 5Gb
                  Asrock already has a few motherboards with various different Aquantia chipsets.

I had an Asrock Fatal1ty Pro Gaming x370 that had AQC-108 (5 GbE). I upgraded a few months ago to X470 Taichi Ultimate with AQC-107 10GbE, but Linux driver does not give 10GbE links at this stage. Seems like I am not the only person seeing this.

I have it plugged out at this moment *eeek*
                  # lspci | grep Aqu
                  2d:00.0 Ethernet controller: Aquantia Corp. AQC107 NBase-T/IEEE 802.3bz Ethernet Controller [AQtion] (rev 02)

# ethtool enp45s0
                  Settings for enp45s0:
                  Supported ports: [ TP ]
                  Supported link modes: 100baseT/Full
                  1000baseT/Full
                  10000baseT/Full
                  2500baseT/Full
                  5000baseT/Full
                  Supported pause frame use: Symmetric
                  Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
                  Supported FEC modes: Not reported
                  Advertised link modes: 100baseT/Full
                  1000baseT/Full
                  10000baseT/Full
                  2500baseT/Full
                  5000baseT/Full
                  Advertised pause frame use: Symmetric Receive-only
                  Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
                  Advertised FEC modes: Not reported
                  Speed: Unknown!
                  Duplex: Full
                  Port: Twisted Pair
                  PHYAD: 0
                  Transceiver: internal
                  Auto-negotiation: on
                  MDI-X: Unknown
                  Link detected: no
                  I have not been pushing my NIC that hard. I mostly use it for testing ceph/k8s and single player parts of my steam library. I might also do "security cam" recoding at some stage. I have looked at various PCI-E versions of AQC107, but found complaints of both Gigabyte and Asus so went for Aquantia AQtion in my older system. I would not mind having high speed USB based NICs though. If I could upgrade my openwrt raspberry pi 1 model b with some low-power system /w 10GbE that would be great!

Comment

Originally posted by ThoreauHD View Post
                    Unless this uses old cat5e cabling, I don't understand the purpose of this rather that the 10 gbit we currently have.
                    It works with existing cabling.
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X