Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mir 1.1 Is Releasing Soon With Experimental X11 Support & NVIDIA Binary Blob Handling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mir 1.1 Is Releasing Soon With Experimental X11 Support & NVIDIA Binary Blob Handling

Phoronix: Mir 1.1 Is Releasing Soon With Experimental X11 Support & NVIDIA Binary Blob Handling

Ubuntu's Mir team will soon be releasing their Mir 1.1 display server release in the days ahead with this first post-1.0 stable update of this re-shifted project that has morphed into offering Wayland client support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

cant cant to try it out. have been using mate for quite a while and seeing this makes me very happy. I was starting to think that mate will die due to lack of propper support when major desktop environments switch to wayland.

Comment

wait*

Comment

This looks like it's already basically fully functional... Besides testing, what's the hold up? Is there some major bugs? Missing features (worse than KDE's and gnome's wayland sessions)?

Comment

Would be quite ironic if a Mir based DE ends up being the first DE to fully support Wayland on all hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
            Would be quite ironic if a Mir based DE ends up being the first DE to fully support Wayland on all hardware.
            Mir is no longer competition. Mir is now more like wlroots or libweston.

Comment

In my local slang, Mir means "wine". I don't drink Mir.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
                mir is for ppl

Comment

Would be nice if XFCE also jumps in the ship of mir for faster Wayland support. But I don't know why I feel so confident that X will stay around and supported (even improved) for lots of years to come... The reason has to be the long wait for Wayland and evidence of huge ecosystem that will run better in native X than buggy Xwayland implementations that will take more years to mature due to everybody writing their own implementation of the Wayland protocol and associated tech, at leat it seems to be improving with projects like mir.

Comment

Working...
                  X