Systemd 240 Continues Picking Up New Features Ahead Of The Holidays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Systemd 240 Continues Picking Up New Features Ahead Of The Holidays

Phoronix: Systemd 240 Continues Picking Up New Features Ahead Of The Holidays

It's been over five months already since the release of systemd 239 and a lot of feature work has been amassing for what will end up releasing as systemd 240...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

- A new systemd-run-generator command for running arbitrary commands from the kernel command line as system services.

- systemd-analyze security for analyzing the security/sandboxing settings of systemd service units.
    Neat.

Comment

*obligatory hate post*

*obligatory "is systemd an OS yet" question*

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
        *obligatory hate post*

*obligatory "is systemd an OS yet" question*
        In order to satisfy you:

Systemd 260 will introduce systemd-kernel, deprecating Linux kernel requirement.
        Happy?

Comment

but still lacks a decent fax service daemon

Comment

systemd-xorg will be a neat addition devs promised to release beginning of next year... I hate having to update Xorg as a separate package all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by r08z View Post
              systemd-xorg will be a neat addition devs promised to release beginning of next year... I hate having to update Xorg as a separate package all the time.
              Nope, let's have systemd-wayland instead. One compositor to replace them all.

-

Being more serious: I wonder why does my journal take like 10 to 20 seconds to flush on this laptop (which already takes 90 freaking seconds to boot to the desktop (which I've been trying to optimize (which is very hard to do since for some reason it stays at "Hold until boot process finishes up" for a long time despite everything being apparently initialized)))

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Nope, let's have systemd-wayland instead. One compositor to replace them all.

-

Being more serious: I wonder why does my journal take like 10 to 20 seconds to flush on this laptop (which already takes 90 freaking seconds to boot to the desktop (which I've been trying to optimize (which is very hard to do since for some reason it stays at "Hold until boot process finishes up" for a long time despite everything being apparently initialized)))
                If you happen to be running btrfs as your filesystem make absolutely sure that /var/log/journal is marked with +C attribute. Like so:

-
                $ lsattr /var/log/journal
                -
                ---------------C-- /var/log/journal/.
                ------------------ /var/log/journal/..
                ---------------C-- /var/log/journal/69d27b356a94476da859461d3a3bc6fd
                If it isn't then use chattr to set it on all of those journal directories then force journald to rotate to a new file.

The problem is that journald writes highly fragmented files on btrfs filesystems and if you use a rotating rusty hard drive it will be horribly, horribly slow. That's because a journald file is a database. It goes back in the file to rewrite cursor positions, indexes, etc, instead of simply appending to the end.

$ filefrag user-1000.journal
                user-1000.journal: 1723 extents found
                With the +C attribute 1,723 extants is not a problem. Otherwise it really is.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                  I don't know what distribution you use, but there seems to have been some kind of regression with recent Ubuntu releases. My Ubuntu VMs with 18.x releases take a full minute or longer to start. My Debian VM, which is also using systemd, hits the login screen in eight seconds.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post

I don't know what distribution you use, but there seems to have been some kind of regression with recent Ubuntu releases. My Ubuntu VMs with 18.x releases take a full minute or longer to start. My Debian VM, which is also using systemd, hits the login screen in eight seconds.
                    Pop!_OS 18.04 / 18.10 boots within seconds with a SSD. Might want to try that out.

Comment

Working...
                    X