Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qt 5.12 Released With Many Improvements, Joined By Qt Creator 4.8

Phoronix: Qt 5.12 Released With Many Improvements, Joined By Qt Creator 4.8

The Qt Company began shipping Qt 5.12 this morning as their latest long-term support version of the Qt5 tool-kit while also shipping Qt Creator 4.8 as their C++ focused integrated development environment...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It is fantastic that we might be able to use QtCreator for other languages.

Comment

hmm, might be time to update my projects then

Comment

Now that there is an XAML standard. Perhaps it would be cool if Qt could consume XAML.
        Or if there were any converter that could convert between XAML and QML.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          Now that there is an XAML standard. Perhaps it would be cool if Qt could consume XAML.
          Open a suggestion jira tickets on topic What are the use cases, what exists in XAML that you wouldn't want to rewrite in native QML?

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post

Open a suggestion jira tickets on topic What are the use cases, what exists in XAML that you wouldn't want to rewrite in native QML?
            Maybe a developer who learning Qt but already knows XAML and don't want to learn QML.
            Maybe a developer who is porting an application and already have an XAML file.

XAML is used by WPF, WinUI, Avalonia, and Xamarin on Android and iOS, so it would be cool if XAML could be used with GTK+ and Qt too.
            Would be cool with one standard UI language for all widget toolkits and platforms.

Comment

As someone who's written XAML before (just a tiny bit) I really can't recommend it. That was years ago, so maybe it's improved, but I was not a fan.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                a) That repo does not appear to contain any actual standard, just discussion about creating one.
                b) Let's hope not. QML is vastly preferable to read and write (and if you're using a GUI, it's not that important what it reads/writes like).

Comment

Originally posted by cen1 View Post
                  hmm, might be time to update my projects then
                  I'd wait for 5.12.1. There are still a few bugs that are fairly serious for some use cases in 5.12.0. Note: this is expected with Qt's policy of regular releases, 5.12.1 is expected in January IIRC.

Comment

Working...
                  X