Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Counter-Strike: GO Goes Battle Royale With Danger Zone

Phoronix: Counter-Strike: GO Goes Battle Royale With Danger Zone

With the success of Fortnite and Player Unknown's Battlegrounds in the "battle royale" genre, Valve is getting in on the action with CS:GO Danger Zone...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Has Valve made any official statement on wanting to get CS:GO ported to Source 2 with a Vulkan renderer like DOTA?

Comment

CS:GO is also popular with older systems where Vulkan is not available (e.g. R600). Dropping OpenGL would leave these users in the dust, so I doubt that this would be a good move.

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post
        CS:GO is also popular with older systems where Vulkan is not available (e.g. R600). Dropping OpenGL would leave these users in the dust, so I doubt that this would be a good move.
        As is the case with Dota 2, you can pick your renderer.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Okay, as an addition to OpenGL, that would be fine. But your last paragraph seems to indicate that you'd prefer them to ditch OpenGL in favor of going all-in with Vulkan. Or do I misinterpret that paragraph? That would remind me of Wolfenstein II where the devs dropped a perfectly fine OpenGL renderer in favor of Vulkan and regressed the gaming experience for (ex-) Kepler owners like me due to bad Nvidia Vulkan drivers. This only got better very recently with driver and game updates and rather late, that game was next to unplayable by default and needed a tuned config due to VRAM issues to run somewhat tolerable on the lowest settings with 720p.

Comment

[Sadly they seem to be behind in their previously expressed goal of switching CS:GO over to Vulkan with the Linux version still appearing to rely upon OpenGL.
            When did they express this goal of cs:go on Vulkan?

Comment

Thanks Valve, now Linux gamers have BR game, not that I play this genre, it's just good for the ecosystem.

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post
                Ahem, it would leave those CS:GO fans without the Dust, one of the more popular maps I believe.

Comment

Against Vulkan if it is instead of OpenGL. If optional the not against.

Comment

Unfortunately not always the case. Remember the experience of Feral Interactive.

Comment

Working...
                    X