Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mageia 7 Beta Finally Rolls Along For Testing

Phoronix: Mageia 7 Beta Finally Rolls Along For Testing

It's been a year and a half since the release of Mageia 6 while finally the Mageia 7 beta images have surfaced...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is great news, Mageia 7 is a very friendly Raven Ridge distro and is well caught up on the 4.19.7 kernel, llvm7, gcc and rolled out mesa18.3 today. They still need Vulkan SDK RPMs but those aren't hard to build.

Comment

i thought they were working on making DNF the default in 7 onwards as URPMI is somewhat Dead

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post
        i thought they were working on making DNF the default in 7 onwards as URPMI is somewhat Dead
        They probably are (or at least they should), I think OpenMandriva is also replacing URPMI with DNF in their next release.

Comment

Originally posted by Raploz View Post

They probably are (or at least they should), I think OpenMandriva is also replacing URPMI with DNF in their next release.
          dunno if Magiea is, bit dumb if there not as OpenMandriva is using DNF as Default an killing URPMI off . doesnt look like it Made it as Default https://wiki.mageia.org/en/FeatureMageia7_Review
          Last edited by Anvil; 07 December 2018, 08:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post

dunno if Magiea is, bit dumb if there not as OpenMandriva is using DNF as Default an killing URPMI off . doesnt look like it Made it as Default https://wiki.mageia.org/en/FeatureMageia7_Review
            Wow, this checks out. What a perfect example on why fragmentation causes duplicate work and is bad for developers and end-users. Why on earth haven't Mageia and OpenMandriva merged yet? They are both based on the same distro with similar design goals.
            Last edited by slacka; 09 December 2018, 06:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by slacka View Post

Wow, this checks out. What a perfect example on why fragmentation causes duplicate work and is bad for developers and end-users. Why on earth haven't Mageia and OpenMandriva merged yet? They are both based on the same distro with similar design goals.
              Merging would make sense. i just dunno if i would recommend using Mageia as some Packages seem to be outdated an the fact that URPMI is security prone i would advise not to use it.

Comment

seems the OpenMandriva site is Dead, wonder if Michael could get us some info about that

just fixed the issue, was my DNS that needed clearing
                Last edited by Anvil; 09 December 2018, 07:29 PM.

Comment

Why it's under "BSD, Mac OS X, Hurd & Others" sub-section though? It's a GNU/Linux distro.. ˇˇ

Comment

Originally posted by Raploz View Post

Well, In my personal opinion dnf still lacks some nice features urpmi has.. at least for me... I have not been able to install and allow-nodeps with dnf.. of course I could use rpm -nodeps but..

For example:

If I want to install Teamviewer with DNF I get an error of missing dependencies "qt5-qtdeclarative and qt5-qtquickcontrols" and they ARE installed but as "qtdeclarative5 and qtquickcontrols5" so with urpmi I just use: urpmi --force --allow-nodeps https://download.teamviewer.com/down...wer.x86_64.rpm

I know I could use: rpm -i --nodeps https://download.teamviewer.com/down...wer.x86_64.rpm but, everytime I want to update teamviewer with "dnf update" I always get the same errors of missing "qt5-qtdeclarative and qt5-qtquickcontrols" ... it would be great to have something like "dnf update --nodeps".

Unfortunately I cannot add the teamviewer repo with "urpmi.addmedia" because of missing metadata needed for urpmi.
                    If teamviewer had a mageia compatible repositories I could just type: urpmi --auto-update --allow-nodeps and voilá...

Regards,

Comment

Working...
                    X