FreeBSD 12 Is Running Great On The Dell PowerEdge R7425 EPYC 2P Server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FreeBSD 12 Is Running Great On The Dell PowerEdge R7425 EPYC 2P Server

Phoronix: FreeBSD 12 Is Running Great On The Dell PowerEdge R7425 EPYC 2P Server

With FreeBSD 11.2 the support wasn't up to scratch, but with the brand new FreeBSD 12 it is running well on the Dell PowerEdge R7425 dual EPYC server.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    with new Intel platfroms too

Comment

Would be interesting to see how FreeBSD do in an AMD vs Intel comparison.
      In particular the Himeno benchmark where Linux/AMD are way slower than Linux/Intel.

Comment

Unfortunately, the new DragonFlyBSD 5.4 release isn't panning out yet on the hardware: when booting the USB installer media, the system ends up rebooting during the boot process.
        Michael I suspect the issue is funky USB3. I've noticed as well Dragonfly 5.4 crashing during boot when certain devices were already attached to USB3 port. Notably Android phone and memstick. Bypassed it by using USB2 and/or DVD installation media.

Comment

Originally posted by aht0 View Post
          Michael I suspect the issue is funky USB3. I've noticed Dragonfly crashing during boot when certain devices are attached to USB3 port. Notably Android phone and memstick. Bypassed it by using USB2 and/or DVD installation media.
          This was actually in a USB2 port.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Raka555 View Post
            Would be interesting to see how FreeBSD do in an AMD vs Intel comparison.
            In particular the Himeno benchmark where Linux/AMD are way slower than Linux/Intel.
            I find it strange that nobody else is interested in seeing how Himeno does on FreeBSD on both Intel and AMD vs Linux.

In the past Intel owned AMD with this benchmark on Linux.

If the himeno performance with FreeBSD on AMD is real, as suggested by this review, and in the same ballpark as FreeBSD on Intel, then it would suggest a huge deficiency somewhere in the Linux stack ...

If that is true, then there might be a nice performance boost for Linux on AMD if the cause can be tracked down...

Comment

12.0-RELEASE images should now be available

Comment

Working...
              X