Arch Linux Users With Intel Graphics Can Begin Enjoying A Flicker-Free Boot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arch Linux Users With Intel Graphics Can Begin Enjoying A Flicker-Free Boot

Phoronix: Arch Linux Users With Intel Graphics Can Begin Enjoying A Flicker-Free Boot

It looks like the recent efforts led by Red Hat / Fedora on providing a flicker-free Linux boot experience and thanks to their upstream-focused approach is starting to pay off for the other desktop Linux distributions... A flicker-free boot experience can now be achieved on Arch Linux with the latest packages, assuming you don't have any quirky hardware...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Yes, can't use i915.fastboot=1 myself though because backlight control doesn't work with it. Even without i915.fastboot though the flickering is very minor.

Comment

Great. Hopefully this is done for AMD graphics cards soon.

Comment

Considering all the problems I have trying to get any kernel to work properly with my hardware on Linux, flicker-free boot is way at the bottom of my 'things I really don't have time to give a shit over' list.

Comment

tildearrow - I'm hoping they get their GPU drivers to work properly in the first place. Most AMD systems that I've used are super buggy. My R9 390 hasn't been supported properly since the time it was launched. No H.265 decode/encode support, no OpenCL support (unless you count OpenCL 1.1 through mesa), buggy power management and unstable drivers that break with every new kernel version.

The Intel GPU drivers on the same system have been stable and reliable the whole time, with every new kernel version and point release.

I'm beginning to give up on AMD providing basic functional drivers, leave alone advanced functionality like a flicker-free boot experience.

Comment

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post
            tildearrow - I'm hoping they get their GPU drivers to work properly in the first place. Most AMD systems that I've used are super buggy. My R9 390 hasn't been supported properly since the time it was launched. No H.265 decode/encode support, no OpenCL support (unless you count OpenCL 1.1 through mesa), buggy power management and unstable drivers that break with every new kernel version.

The Intel GPU drivers on the same system have been stable and reliable the whole time, with every new kernel version and point release.

I'm beginning to give up on AMD providing basic functional drivers, leave alone advanced functionality like a flicker-free boot experience.
            This whole post is obvious fud. The real truth is that with open source drivers you have to choose hardware that already works. You didn't look first to see what would work and what wouldn't. AMD has a ton of extremely stable and well supported hardware, but you didn't and still don't know that.

All you ever had to do was ask, there are dozens of people here on this forum that could tell you whether their card was working well or not. Not to mention all the OSS devs and AMD employees that post regularly here.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
              Considering all the problems I have trying to get any kernel to work properly with my hardware on Linux, flicker-free boot is way at the bottom of my 'things I really don't have time to give a shit over' list.
              Luckily the person working on this is probably a different person to the "drivers for obscure hardware" guy

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                This whole post is obvious fud.
                I know zoomers love to call all parts of reality they don't like fud but that doesn't make it anything but a sign of immaturity. You should stop and grow up.

As for AMDs drivers.. they really are a lot more problematic than Intel's. Kernel series 4.19 has open bugs like amdgpu crashing if you have multiple monitors connected with DP and you turn them off and on again. There's a lot of smaller bugs like that. You only need to look at all the open bug reports at freedesktop to see that there really is a lot of open bugs. Finding a combination of an AMD GPU and a kernel version that works is pure luck. 4.20-rc6 has some serious problems so I doubt that series will be better.

Comment

you can get manjaro linux Flickr free boot with bootsplash with intel and amd hardware you just have to install systemd-bootsplash and a bootsplash-theme-manjaro then in mkinitcpio you have to add modules radeon or i915 for amd or intel
                  Change as following for intel graphics
                  mkinitcpio.conf
                  MODULES=“i915”
                  HOOKS=“base udev autodetect modconf block keyboard keymap resume filesystems bootsplash-manjaro”

etc/default/grub
                  GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=“resume=UUID=c8afc06e-d7a5-4f56-b14f-fb542d822576 bootsplash.bootfile=bootsplash-themes/manjaro/bootsplash"

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
                    Sounds like you've got some real janky equipment over there. Personally I only buy from vendors who officially support Linux on their hardware, so that I know for a fact it'll "just work" when I boot up my favorite distro.

Comment

Working...
                    X