Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fedora Looks To Build Firefox With Clang For Better Performance & Compilation Speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora Looks To Build Firefox With Clang For Better Performance & Compilation Speed

Phoronix: Fedora Looks To Build Firefox With Clang For Better Performance & Compilation Speed

Following the move by upstream Mozilla in switching their Linux builds of Firefox from being compiled by GCC to LLVM Clang, Fedora is planning the same transition of compilers in the name of compilation speed and resulting performance...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

my browser, Waterfox is already built by clang

Comment

I've been building Chromium with Clang for a while with thin LTO

Comment

Firefox 64 is scheduled to be released today.

Metabug for Wayland support. Bug 635134 (wayland) Firefox Wayland port.
        Firefox does still not support:

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          It has full support for it but is disabled by default and needs to be enabled in about:config.

I don't know why though

It has supported the date and time types for a while which are the most important ones (which is why it's marked as "partial").

Lacks support for the datetime-local, month and week types.

Comment

Originally posted by tichun
            Is the performance argument true? gcc vs clang benchmarks on phoronix tend to show gcc as leading in most aspects iirc.
            yeah, I also wonder, ..!?

Comment

Firefox 64 is scheduled to be released today.

Metabug for Wayland support. Bug 635134 (wayland) Firefox Wayland port.
              Phoronix has shown virtually no performance benefit from Wayland. You can run X applications on Wayland, of course.

Comment

OpenMandriva provide Firefox (and almost all packages) build with Clang (as default) for years.

Comment

Originally posted by tichun
                  Is the performance argument true? gcc vs clang benchmarks on phoronix tend to show gcc as leading in most aspects iirc.
                  Probably depends on stuff. LTO can help optimize some inter-procedural functionality and improve start-up time.

Comment

Would be great to see some GCC + Graphite + LTO vs Clang + Polly + LTO benchmarks (if it builds with these flags). I also wonder why the distros don't use more aggressive compiler settings by default for packages that could build with them?! Too much testing effort?

Comment

Working...
                    X