Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firefox 64.0 Released

Phoronix: Firefox 64.0 Released

Firefox 64.0 is available today as the last major feature update to Mozilla's web browser for 2018...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Looks like this was made available to Manjaro users 7 hours ago. I've been impressed with how quickly they've been getting important updates out recently, sometimes even before Arch (which, at the time of writing, is still on version 63).

Comment

Hardware video decode?

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
        Hardware video decode?
        LOL, good one!

Comment

Originally posted by lectrode View Post
          Looks like this was made available to Manjaro users 7 hours ago. I've been impressed with how quickly they've been getting important updates out recently, sometimes even before Arch (which, at the time of writing, is still on version 63).
          I imagine how much has been tested! I also like to have the latest version of the software, but not at all costs. The distributions before making the available software should do some quality tests. So hurry is never the best way.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post

I imagine how much has been tested! I also like to have the latest version of the software, but not at all costs. The distributions before making the available software should do some quality tests. So hurry is never the best way.
            They may be testing the beta and RC builds as they've come out, so that they know most distro-specific kinks are worked out. This is what I'd do if I was them. Doing so means that when the stable release is made, only minimal testing is required.

It's not good to leave users lingering without the latest stable release too long, because there are almost always severe security vulnerabilities that are announced and fixed in the latest stable release. Here are the latest for Firefox 64: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/securi...s/mfsa2018-29/

Comment

Strange, I am on Arch and I have still not received 64. I even have testing repo's enabled. Doesn't Manjaro use Arch repo's?

Also, I am not happy that it *still* doesn't have hardware video rendering... I thought Mozilla loved Linux....

Comment

Originally posted by mzs.112000 View Post
                I thought Mozilla loved Linux....
                They love everyone, or so I've heard. The majority of everyone is on proprietary systems

Comment

Yeah, it is great, that way you can feel proud you are using a bad fork because you are too inept to install the real deal... Yeah, that makes it worthwhile, getting a new Firefox version a few hours first... By the way at the time of this writing Firefox got updated for Arch too...

Seriously, why boast about this? The improvements are small, and as for the security fixes, it is extremely unlikely you will run into any exploit in the next few hours. Malicious code targeting those exploits must be written, and delivered to you. In order for it to be delivered to you you need to open malicious files or visit malicious websites. So even assuming malware that targets those vulnerabilities exists, you only have to fear if you are an idiot. I am not saying patching these holes isn't critical, but i am sure a few hours won't make any real difference. You lived with those holes in your life during Firefox 63, your system didn't get hacked, did it?
                  Last edited by TemplarGR; 11 December 2018, 11:30 PM.

Comment

What is the state of open source driver blacklisting as of Firefox 64?

Comment

Working...
                    X