Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

There's Certainly Much Interest In Linux On Intel's Future Discrete Graphics Cards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There's Certainly Much Interest In Linux On Intel's Future Discrete Graphics Cards

Phoronix: There's Certainly Much Interest In Linux On Intel's Future Discrete Graphics Cards

Intel's growing graphics team recently hosted a "Ask You Anything" on Reddit as they solicit more feedback and ideas from the community about their discrete graphics plans. From that, interest in their Linux graphics driver/software stack came in second for popularity...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm just excited at the idea of two companies with open source Linux drivers on gaming grade GPUs.

If Intel can come up with something in the RX 570 to Vega 56 range then I think we'll be happy enough.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
      But it is good that intel believers may have their intel only gaming system in 2020 finally. ADM only systems have been possible for a long time. No intel hardware in gaming consoles, it is so bad.
      That's Intel's fault for pricing their stuff so high. It also doesn't help that AMD straight up beat Intel in regards to integrated GPUs. Intel might have the better IPC, but AMD has the better overall package at a lower price point.

Comment

Please do add firmware blob so that I can keep buying AMD graphics.

Comment

Originally posted by moilami View Post
          Disagree, competition is good for end users.

Comment

I would have no hesitation buying a discreet GPU from Intel, given the work they've done on Linux over the years. Don't forget where most of Mesa's new features came from over the past 5 years or so, or that Intel has had workable open source drivers the longest of any vendor. Sure, the performance wasn't there, but they respected the ethics of our platform.

Comment

I really hope for a blob-free GPU. If that happens I'll say bye bye to AMD. Super interested about an ME-free CPU as well.
              ## VGA ##
              AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
              Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by moilami View Post
                What remotely modern AMD graphics you buy that don't need a firmware blob?
                Asking for a friend.

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
                  I really hope for a blob-free GPU. If that happens I'll say bye bye to AMD. Super interested about an ME-free CPU as well.
                  Somewhat unlikely if not impossible. Their iGPU needs blobs, and if they want to support HDCP and other "secure" DRM feature bs they have to use blobs for the critical parts.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                    That's Intel's fault for pricing their stuff so high. It also doesn't help that AMD straight up beat Intel in regards to integrated GPUs. Intel might have the better IPC, but AMD has the better overall package at a lower price point.
                    I strongly suspect that Intel's main target will be NVIDIA, and especially the computing segment.
                    This is just a stepping stone towards that.

Comment

Working...
                    X