Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DXVK 0.94 Released With New Optimizations, Game Fixes

Phoronix: DXVK 0.94 Released With New Optimizations, Game Fixes

DXVK lead developer Philip Rebohle who is working under contract for Valve released a new version of this open-source layer for translating Direct3D 10/11 calls to Vulkan API for enhancing the experience for running Windows games on Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That's a really cool suggestion tichun, but I think the answer is going to be "it depends".

Comment

Originally posted by tichun
      I'd be interested in benchmarks where two gaming PCs are built for the same price;
      • one runs windows and so has less money for hardware
      • the second uses linux + dxvk but spends on hardware instead of windows
      It would be especially interesting as you can buy powerful gpu for the price of windows.
      • $139 home, $166 in Poland
      • $199 pro, $290 in Poland
      What would perform better? - native windows with say i5 8th iGPU or wine on linux with same setup + 6gb gtx1060?

There could be plethora of setups. I bet linux would win in most.
      Last time I bought Windows I got the key off eBay for ~$25 USD. That no longer the case? I've done it a few times and worked with no problems every time
      ​​​

Comment

Originally posted by kenjitamura View Post

Last time I bought Windows I got the key off eBay for ~$25 USD. That no longer the case? I've done it a few times and worked with no problems every time
        ​​​
        You got illegal key for $25, congrats. This key as legal as using activator.

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post

You got illegal key for $25, congrats. This key as legal as using activator.
          That's horrible. I never knew any person who has a legal copy of windows unless it came preinstalled, with companies it's a different story.

Comment

I'd be interested in benchmarks where two gaming PCs are built for the same price;
            • one runs windows and so has less money for hardware
            • the second uses linux + dxvk but spends on hardware instead of windows
            It would be especially interesting as you can buy powerful gpu for the price of windows.
            • $139 home, $166 in Poland
            • $199 pro, $290 in Poland
            What would perform better? - native windows with say i5 8th iGPU or wine on linux with same setup + 6gb gtx1060?

There could be plethora of setups. I bet linux would win in most.
            While I can see the point behind this proposal, it is of limited use. Hardly anyone buys a stand alone windows license. Usually, it comes bundled with the PC and last I checked, not getting the Windows license (when this is actually an option) doesn't reduce the price at all since the manufacturers also lose the income from preinstalling all the trail software and random crapware. Also, anyone who has any ancient Windows 7 or 8 license was able to update to the current Windows 10 for free. Many students have access to MSDNAA so they don't pay for Windows either. And lastly, people who build their own system from components usually "find other ways" to obtain a copy of windows (Not that I support it but it simply is the truth. I've never met anyone who actually thought "Should I get a better GPU or legally buy a full windows license?". I bet, MS doesn't even care. They just want Windows to remain the dominating OS for all PCs so all businesses keep licensing it.). So overall, this would be a nice experiment but the results basically apply to hardly anyone.

Comment

it is amusing how people are trying to love linux by showing windows gpu from most linux-hostile vendor down its throat

Comment

“It’s easier for our software to compete with Linux when there’s piracy than when there’s not.”

Bill Gates

Comment

Originally posted by GruenSein View Post
                  Usually, it comes bundled with the PC and last I checked, not getting the Windows license (when this is actually an option) doesn't reduce the price at all since the manufacturers also lose the income from preinstalling all the trail software and random crapware.
                  it comes only when you pay someone to build computer for you. and you can still return windows to microsoft for refund in that case

Comment

kenjitamura, even though you could buy this way - it is basically as legit as piracy. OEM licences aren't allowed to be sold separately.
                    As far as I know this is depending from the country. It is legal in the county I live in, you paid for it so why wouldn't you be allowed to sell it?

Anyway, I wouldn't recommend to buy Windows for any price!

Comment

Working...
                    X