Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The RADV Radeon Vulkan Driver Performance Over 2018

Phoronix: The RADV Radeon Vulkan Driver Performance Over 2018

As the latest from our year-end Linux benchmarks, here are tests when seeing how Mesa's RADV open-source Radeon Vulkan driver performance has evolved for Linux gaming. With a Radeon RX Vega 64 graphics card, the performance was looked at from Mesa 17.3 through Mesa 19.0-devel for showing the driver's evolution.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It's also gotten very reliable and stable apart from fps, at least that's my experience. Everything just works well.

Comment

nice comparison, could you also do amdvlk?

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
        It's also gotten very reliable and stable apart from fps, at least that's my experience. Everything just works well.
        Chromium VAAPI HW acceleration (custom patch set which is now enabled by default with Suse Tumbleweed builds of Chromium) was not working correctly last time I checked (seems to be this: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=109107). The Suse Factory build of Mesa 18.3.1 also brought Tumbleweed to hard lockup after trying to boot into the desktop. I don't know what the root cause there might be and if it is Tumbleweed specific or more general, but I can not say that everything works well on my new Polaris 10 card.

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post

Chromium VAAPI HW acceleration (custom patch set which is now enabled by default with Suse Tumbleweed builds of Chromium) was not working correctly last time I checked (seems to be this: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=109107). The Suse Factory build of Mesa 18.3.1 also brought Tumbleweed to hard lockup after trying to boot into the desktop. I don't know what the root cause there might be and if it is Tumbleweed specific or more general, but I can not say that everything works well on my new Polaris 10 card.
          Chromium VAAPI support is experimental. You are using it at your own risk. VAAPI works fine with mpv for me.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post

Chromium VAAPI support is experimental. You are using it at your own risk. VAAPI works fine with mpv for me.
            I know and it is far more important on my Notebook (Intel GPU works fine) than on my Desktop. Nonetheless it would be great to have it working since it is now enabled by default by Suse (so I have to disable it manually). Hence more people will be exposed to this bug (defeating a bit the purpose of it being experimental).
            Last edited by ms178; 20 December 2018, 01:26 PM.

Comment

I know and it is far more important on my Notebook (Intel GPU works fine) than on my Desktop. Nonetheless it would be great to have it working since it is now enabled by default by Suse (so I have to disable it manually). Hence more people will be exposed to this bug (defeating a bit the purpose of it being experimental).
              If SUSE is that bad that it enables experimental features that break certain hardware by default, then these people should switch distros.

Comment

ms178 I was solely referring to radv, not other parts of mesa (not that situation would be any different for me with it).

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post

If SUSE is that bad that it enables experimental features that break certain hardware by default, then these people should switch distros.
                  Yep. After 15years suse i switched to manjaro 5months ago and did not regret it yet.
                  sorry suse.
                  Tumbleweeds problem is, that it relies too much on automatic testing and pushes even RCs and Betas sometimes. Its too fast. If they would change to weekly releases with abit of additional manual testing things could be smoother ...
                  Last edited by tomtomme; 20 December 2018, 03:03 PM.

Comment

* IIRC polaris didn't get VCN hw (the bug you mention is VCN and raven ridge about)
                    * Chromium VAAPI has nothing to do with vulkan (RADV) driver.
                    On gaming side polaris/radv is quite good. My rx470 works on mesa 18.3.1 there's some graphical problem on native vulkan/dxvk games but no hang here. Maybe kernel/distro side problem.

Comment

Working...
                    X