RadeonSI Gallium3D Made Some More OpenGL Performance Gains This Year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RadeonSI Gallium3D Made Some More OpenGL Performance Gains This Year

Phoronix: RadeonSI Gallium3D Made Some More OpenGL Performance Gains This Year

This year the focus for modern Linux gaming really shifted to Vulkan with Feral's major new game ports being exclusively Vulkan-based, DXVK and Steam Play coming about for relying upon Vulkan for Direct3D 10/11 emulation on Linux, Vulkan 1.1 and subsequent point releases ironing out desired functionality by developers for this graphics API, and all of the open/closed-source drivers continuing to mature. But there is still a plethora of OpenGL-only Linux games out there and AMD's open-source driver team hasn't let up in continuing to improve and optimize their RadeonSI Gallium3D driver. Here are some benchmarks showing how the RadeonSI performance has improved over the past year on an AMD RX Vega graphics card.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I never seriously considered subscribing since you're a workaholic. I appreciate your business and benchmarks quite a lot. But please get a normal life with weekends and holidays. Life will go on, so will Phoronix. Other news editors owning blogs/websites do the same and it still works.

We'd like you to have a nice and long life - don't run into burn-out one day like that, Michael.

Happy Holidays!
    Last edited by cRaZy-bisCuiT; 21 December 2018, 05:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cRaZy-bisCuiT View Post
      I never seriously considered subscribing since you're a workaholic. I appreciate your business and benchmarks quite a lot. But please get a normal life with weekends and holidays. Life will go on, so will Phoronix. Other news editors owning blogs/websites do the same and it still works.

We'd like you to have a nice and long life - don't run into burn-out one day like that, Michael.

Happy Holidays!
      So point are you trying to make here, exactly? Are you "punishing" Michael for working too hard? For years, he's been pouring his heart and soul in Phoronix, giving us very insightful Linux-related news, stats and benchmarks that can't be found anywhere else. Although occasionally he provides viewpoints that I don't necessarily always agree with, most of the articles he has posted on this site has been informative, insightful and entertaining. Phoronix is in the top 3 of my favorite websites and I visit it more than once a day. It's pretty much the only site that I have actually subscribed to and spent money on, since I believe that the work he does here is useful and important.

Think of all the performance regressions in Linux and Mesa 3D that he was the first to reveal and pinpoint in his benchmarks, which allowed the developers to fix them quickly. And that's just one example.

If you don't think this site and the information it offers is worth spending money on, fine. Even if you just enjoy the site, but don't want spend the money on it, that's okay too. But don't shout such a non-sensical argument not to subscribe to Phoronix, patronizing him on his work ethic as an actual excuse for him not getting your business. That makes no sense!

Michael, if you're reading this, I for one absolutely appreciate your hard work and will continue to support you both financially and in spirit. Thanks for the news, the stats, the benchmarks and your work on OpenBenchmarking. I wish you Happy Holidays with your loved ones with much fun and rest, as well as a Happy, Healthy and Successful 2019 and beyond!

Comment

Happy Holidays!
        I also do work w/o real vacation. Some people want that and are fine with that. And FYI, it doesn't kill you.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post

I also do work w/o real vacation. Some people want that and are fine with that. And FYI, it doesn't kill you.
          We'll see. --- 'Life' comes to all of you (us). --- Sooner or later.

Comment

Well, kids changed everything. I had to slow down a lot...
            So Michael should find a way to scale down if that is looming.

Regardless, we appreciate the work you do, especially catching the regressions as they happen. We all love better performance on the same hardware :-)

Comment

Happy Holidays!
              I have been mostly a lurker on these forums for years, but this ridiculous comment pushed me to subscribe to a premium account. I appreciate all that Michael has done over the years in support of Linux.

Comment

Ridiculous comment? Seriously? I have no troubles subscribing Phoronix lifetime but I don't want to support self destroying behavior.

All the time Michael says he deliveres 24/7 all year long I feel like "Man, you need to take your deserved brakes!"

Life is not about working only and earning money. You also need time for yourself, maybe friends, maybe family. Money can't buy you a fortune if you do only work all day and night long.

Well, I appreciate all the efforts and hard work, but as I said: I don't feel someone should spent his or her life by just working - that's really not good if you do this for too long.

Comment

Ridiculous comment? Seriously? I have no troubles subscribing Phoronix lifetime but I don't want to support self destroying behavior.

All the time Michael says he deliveres 24/7 all year long I feel like "Man, you need to take your deserved brakes!"

Life is not about working only and earning money. You also need time for yourself, maybe friends, maybe family. Money can't buy you a fortune if you do only work all day and night long.

Well, I appreciate all the efforts and hard work, but as I said: I don't feel someone should spent his or her life by just working - that's really not good if you do this for too long.
                  It's very 1-dimensial thinking to boil things down to all good or all bad.

Also, it's not appropriate to project your idea of "normal" on to people. Fanatical religions do this all the time and it causes lots of damage. It's appropriate to let people choose for themselves. Anyone who visits another country quickly learns that "normal" is a construct and opinion usually having something to do with your country, community or religious origin.

If you want to encourage balance, vacation, etc.. you don't need to shun work as if they were opposites -- they are not, and many of us enjoy what we call work.

Also, I think it's naive to think Michael has selected this career entirely to make a buck, I mean -- really think about that for a second -- he probably enjoys it very much and it likely gives him a sense of purpose knowing he does something critical for software freedom and development that will benefit humanity for decades to come.

Infact you are using the entirely wrong word -- this isn't his work it's his vocation, because work is something unpleasant you do solely to make money, but a vocation is so much more. It gives you purpose and aligns with your inner need to be productive and do something amazing for the community.

I will write off your remarks as inexperienced or naive with no harmful intent.

Like many others I deeply appreciate Phoronix and it is in the top websites that I check dozens of times a day for years now.

(Though if I want to complain -- I will complain about vbulletin, the spam filter, and so on as being monolithic and encumbering phoronix. I think with a tech switch out it could be a more social hub with avatars, discussions, guides, videos, etc... like a social network for FOSS people instead of just a news blog and linear forum (I would even be into a changeout as I feel the linear thread layout of forums is less effective than tiered comments like reddit and other systems have)
                  Last edited by ElectricPrism; 22 December 2018, 05:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X