Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 4.20 Kernel Released To End The Year On A High Note

Phoronix: Linux 4.20 Kernel Released To End The Year On A High Note

As expected, Linux 4.20 is now available as the latest stable version of the Linux kernel and just in time for Christmas...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Looks like Vega amdgpu regression is back, when the monitor goes to sleep soon after booting. The workaround for me is to turn monitor off and on. Switch to tty and restart ssdm.

Comment

Considering how rough this year was for all the hardware vulnerabilities, I'd say 4.20 turned out pretty good. If it weren't for Michael's benchmarks, it very likely could've been a lot worse.
      Speaking of high notes, I'd say it was a fantastic year for Mesa, too.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
        Looks like Vega amdgpu regression is back, when the monitor goes to sleep soon after booting. The workaround for me is to turn monitor off and on. Switch to tty and restart ssdm.
        That's odd. My Vega 64 is fine with 4.20 using Ubuntu's mainline builds.

Comment

Originally posted by jrdoane View Post
          That's odd. My Vega 64 is fine with 4.20 using Ubuntu's mainline builds.
          Are you using DisplayPort 1.2 monitor?

Comment

Originally posted by ihatemichael
            I guess it's easier to bitch on a forum rather than bisect and filing a bug report.
            Go ahead, bisect it. You have a lot of time, right?

Comment

Are you using DisplayPort 1.2 monitor?
              Yeah, a 4k LG using DP 1.2 along with two 1080p displays, one on a DP adapter, the other off HDMI.

Comment

Originally posted by jrdoane View Post
                Yeah, a 4k LG using DP 1.2 along with two 1080p displays, one on a DP adapter, the other off HDMI.
                Then the bug can be distro specific. I suspect it's some kind of race condition during boot. It happens to me in Debian testing. It's random, i.e. happens only sometimes which indicates a race condition to me. What is your distro?

Comment

Then the bug can be distro specific. I suspect it's some kind of race condition during boot. It happens to me in Debian testing. It's random, i.e. happens only sometimes which indicates a race condition to me. What is your distro?
                  I'm using Ubuntu 18.04 with Padoka PPA for latest mesa along with the mainline build for 4.20.

Comment

Working...
                  X