Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE Plasma, GNOME Shell, Xfce, LXQt & MATE Linux Gaming Benchmarks, Including X.Org/Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Plasma, GNOME Shell, Xfce, LXQt & MATE Linux Gaming Benchmarks, Including X.Org/Wayland

Phoronix: KDE Plasma, GNOME Shell, Xfce, LXQt & MATE Linux Gaming Benchmarks, Including X.Org/Wayland

One of the recent leading requests by new Phoronix Premium members was to see some current Linux gaming benchmarks across a variety of desktop environments and with Wayland and X.Org where applicable. Here are those tests with KDE, GNOME, Xfce, LXQt, and MATE when testing with a Radeon RX Vega 64 graphics card.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

F1 2018 was used as a Steam Play / DXVK test. This game would hang when trying to run on the Wayland-based desktops.
    Rise of the Tomb Raider was hanging during the loading screen when trying to run on the Wayland-based GNOME/KDE sessions.

I've had this since x.org 1.20. Most Vulkan applications in fullscreen crashes when using Wayland. Apparently there is a fix but it has not made it into distros yet.
    Last edited by Brisse; 30 December 2018, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Pretty interesting how there are practically no performance issues anymore, regardless of what you use. Though, part of me wonders if using 4K resolutions has something to do with that. In other words, as long as the GPU is the bottleneck, it seems any inefficiencies in your DE are largely irrelevant.

Comment

What a nice gaming computer :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Brisse View Post

I've had this since x.org 1.20. Most Vulkan applications in fullscreen crashes when using Wayland. Apparently there is a fix but it has not made it into distros yet.
          Sadly you need build whole X from git to fix this. I can't find any plans to release new version of X server.

Comment

> Rise of the Tomb Raider was hanging during the loading screen when trying to run on the Wayland-based GNOME/KDE sessions.
            Michael, please try launch with this patch: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/...ge_requests/48
            XWayland should work!

Comment

Rise of the Tomb Raider loading screen works really, really seldom on Plasma Wayland... so this needs a fix, there is as well a bug report https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=107036.

The other games that do not work on Plasma Wayland that use DXVK/Vulkan usually just work fine as long as you enforce in Kwin the window mode with boarders.

Thanks Michael for the test! I use Plasma Wayland as well for Gaming, I do not switch anymore back to X11 and most of the things are working fine except the 2 bug reports mentioned here! I didn't know that Gnome Wayland is affected as well by these bugs. Hope xorg will release soon a bug fix release it is overdue!

Comment

Thanks to the premium supporters and to Michael for these benchmarks!
                Hopefully the new year will bring me a job that would allow me to be one of the premium supporters.

Comment

The same behavior on gnome side. As long vulkan app plays in window mode everything is ok, if fullscreen then hang. We have to wait for new X server release, or self-build

btw I'm courius if freesync works in xwayland?

Comment

Michael: Can you add Enlightenment too, please ?

Comment

Working...
                    X