Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bash 5.0 Release Packing Many Changes & A Lot Of Fixes

Phoronix: Bash 5.0 Release Candidate Packing Many Changes & A Lot Of Fixes

The release candidate of the upcoming GNU Bash 5.0 shell release is now available. Bash 5.0 is packing various fixes over Bash 4.4 but also a number of new features and improvements to better conform to POSIX specifications...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It is great that BASH is about to arrive in a new version, fixes and updates are always welcomed. The problem I have is all the new "features" added that very few will remember and in some case ever be aware of. I suspect that this is one reason for my liking Python so much, a clean simple language that doesn't leave me guessing, searching documents or nor forgetting what I wrote years ago does

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      EPOCHREALTIME is similar to EPOCHSECONDS for obtaining the number of seconds since the Unix Epoch, but this version is floating point with micro-second granularity
      Then it ought to be a 64-bit floating point number, and even if so, it wouldn't be able to hold full microsecond precision in 200 years...

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
        It is great that BASH is about to arrive in a new version, fixes and updates are always welcomed. The problem I have is all the new "features" added that very few will remember and in some case ever be aware of. I suspect that this is one reason for my liking Python so much, a clean simple language that doesn't leave me guessing, searching documents or nor forgetting what I wrote years ago does
        Not really comparable... they're both scripting languages, but they serve completely different purposes. Python is a great language for general-purpose scripting, where you might need some complex logic, or some network I/O or maybe XML/JSON parsing. It's pretty clumsy for anything that involves running external processes though, which of course is the entire point of a shell language like Bash.

Not sure how you can say Python doesn't leave you searching documents, though... I've spent vastly more time digging around in the Python reference material than in the Bash man pages... which is exactly what you'd expect of a more complex language with a rich standard library to work with.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Then it ought to be a 64-bit floating point number, and even if so, it wouldn't be able to hold full microsecond precision in 200 years...
          I struggle to see the use case for that one, honestly. EPOCHSECONDS, yeah, it's occasionally useful to know the current time (e.g. finding all files created since a particular point during the script), and that's a little nicer than forking to run "date +%s". But anything needing microsecond precision seems like quite an edge case...

Comment

RELEASE, not RELEASE CANDIDATE, though.

> The first public release of bash-5.0 is now available...
            Last edited by Uqbar; 08 January 2019, 02:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
              Not sure how you can say Python doesn't leave you searching documents, though... I've spent vastly more time digging around in the Python reference material than in the Bash man pages... which is exactly what you'd expect of a more complex language with a rich standard library to work with.
              He means that many things done in bash have some (necessary) abomination like
              command -aasfswrwefwrefrwe /sfwr/wrtegf -sdfgsf /asdqwed/sfsdf/wgsd | grep "asd" | awk -F"etw" {print $7} | sort -u

that makes impossible to remember what exactly is that line doing, and you will need to look up stuff to read it more often than not.

With actual programming languages you are calling functions from libraries, not parsing ASCII spit by an application's cli interface.

Which, as long as you aren't doing something extremely esoteric you can usually understand at a glance.

Comment

Working...
              X