X-Plane 11.30 Released As The Best Linux-Supported Flight Simulator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X-Plane 11.30 Released As The Best Linux-Supported Flight Simulator

Phoronix: X-Plane 11.30 Released As The Best Linux-Supported Flight Simulator

X-Plane 11.30 is now available as the latest feature update to this realistic, cross-platform, mature flight simulator system that has long provided native support for Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm waiting for Vulkan support. If it is available I will get it.

Comment

It's not "The Best Linux-Supported Flight Simulator", it has to be "The Best Linux-Supporting Flight Simulator"…

Comment

Maybe it has changed but I remember that not so long ago this support was limited to proprietary drivers, no Mesa support. This was not much an issue back in the time when Intel GPUs were not enough powerful for flight simulation and AMD still had fglrx but now, most AMD users have open source AMDGPU, which is much more convenient to use than proprietary drivers and have better performances in lots of cases, and Intel's GPU have enough power for this application. Only Nvidia users can be satisfied by a software that only supports proprietary drivers. So I hope that X-Plane is now usable with Mesa or will be soon (with Vulkan maybe).
        Last edited by ALRBP; 13 January 2019, 06:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ALRBP View Post
          Maybe it has changed but I remember that not so long ago this support was limited to proprietary drivers, no Mesa support. This was not much an issue back in the time were Intel GPUs were not enough powerful for flight simulation and AMD still had fglrx but now, most AMD users have open source AMDGPU, which is much more convenient to use that proprietary drivers and have better performances in lots of cases, and Intel's GPU have enough power for this application. Only Nvidia users can be satisfied by a software that only supports proprietary drivers. So I hope that X-Plane is now usable with Mesa or will be soon (with Vulkan maybe).
          I cannot speak for AMD hardware, but it does run well with intel hardware (tested haswell).

Comment

Originally posted by ALRBP View Post
            Maybe it has changed but I remember that not so long ago this support was limited to proprietary drivers, no Mesa support. This was not much an issue back in the time were Intel GPUs were not enough powerful for flight simulation and AMD still had fglrx but now, most AMD users have open source AMDGPU, which is much more convenient to use that proprietary drivers and have better performances in lots of cases, and Intel's GPU have enough power for this application. Only Nvidia users can be satisfied by a software that only supports proprietary drivers. So I hope that X-Plane is now usable with Mesa or will be soon (with Vulkan maybe).
            It's worked fine with RadeonSI for a while and is benchmarked every so often in my driver/GPU articles.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

The best is FlightGear. X Plane can't beat its price, and modding community.
              Free Open Source wins over proprietary commercial product.

Comment

Originally posted by Artemis3 View Post
                Very cool but not yet at X-Plane' level :-)

One killer X-Plane feature is native VR support, which changes everything especially when flying helicopters.

Comment

Originally posted by Artemis3 View Post
                  Same here. At first I was very impressed by the quality of X-Plane but after every system update I must re-enter my license code. X-Plane 11 will be for sure my first and my last X-Plane and I'm already using FlightGear again.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

It's worked fine with RadeonSI for a while and is benchmarked every so often in my driver/GPU articles.
                    Happy to read that. Maybe I'll try it again (never used version 11 ; I stopped when I started flying real planes, but with X-Plane I can fly airliners, not just single engines).

Comment

Working...
                    X