Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qt 6 To Begin Early Stages Of Development In Git

Phoronix: Qt 6 To Begin Early Stages Of Development In Git

While Qt 6.0 isn't due out for the better part of two years still, early patches planned for Qt 6 are expected to begin taking shape within a Git staging branch...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Will it be Vulkan powered?
    Will it be cross-platform and run on mobile, tablets, and TVs?
    Will it have translucent windows with blur, like UWP apps in Windows 10?
    Will it have 3D?

It would be great if Qt would run on .NET Core.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      That's basically a superset of saying "It'd be great if C++ compiled to CLR bytecode". Work involved in getting Qt building for such a compiler aside, It can be done, as Microsoft's "Managed C++" and "C++/CLI" show, but it's a much bigger task than you seem to grasp.

Note that Managed C++ is deprecated and Wikipedia has this to say about C++/CLI:

C++/CLI should be thought of as a language of its own (with a new set of keywords, for example), instead of the C++ superset-oriented Managed C++ (MC++) (whose non-standard keywords were styled like __gc or __value). Because of this, there are some major syntactic changes, especially related to the elimination of ambiguous identifiers and the addition of .NET-specific features.
      Last edited by ssokolow; 15 January 2019, 09:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        Will it be Vulkan powered?
        Will it be cross-platform and run on mobile, tablets, and TVs?
        Will it have translucent windows with blur, like UWP apps in Windows 10?
        Will it have 3D?

Yes, because .NET Core is totally available on each and every mobile, tablet and TV and it also has first class support for Vulkan. /sarcasm

Comment

Sounds to me like the intention of uid313 was that .NET Core applications would be able to use Qt 6. As of now, .NET Core is severely lacking in cross-platform GUI options.

Comment

If any QT developers are here, I have one suggestion for QT 6:

Using the scroll wheel over a widget (e.g. a drop down list or a number, inc/dec field) should not adjust the value of that field. My main reason for this suggestion is: if you are scrolling up and down a scrolled pane, you can sometimes accidentally change an option value without realising. I've done this in VLC for before.

On a desktop, I think scrolling should only be used for moving vertical panes up and down.

Comment

Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post

Using the scroll wheel over a widget (e.g. a drop down list or a number, inc/dec field) should not adjust the value of that field. My main reason for this suggestion is: if you are scrolling up and down a scrolled pane, you can sometimes accidentally change an option value without realising. I've done this in VLC for before.

On a desktop, I think scrolling should only be used for moving vertical panes up and down.
              Report it in https://bugreports.qt.io as a wish. And it doesn't sound like something like something that requires a major release.

Also I suspect this might be a themeable thing where Qt tries to do what is the default behavior on your platform?

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post

Report it in https://bugreports.qt.io as a wish. And it doesn't sound like something like something that requires a major release.

Also I suspect this might be a themeable thing where Qt tries to do what is the default behavior on your platform?
                Yeah, I remember when it happened to me I thought: WTF, is it by design?

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

That's basically a superset of saying "It'd be great if C++ compiled to CLR bytecode". Work involved in getting Qt building for such a compiler aside, It can be done, as Microsoft's "Managed C++" and "C++/CLI" show, but it's a much bigger task than you seem to grasp.

Note that Managed C++ is deprecated and Wikipedia has this to say about C++/CLI:
                  Well there can be written wrappers and binders.
                  I don't know how such things works.
                  GTK is exposed through GOject Introspection, then have GObject Introspection in Python, JavaScript, etc.

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Yes, because .NET Core is totally available on each and every mobile, tablet and TV and it also has first class support for Vulkan. /sarcasm
                  .NET Core is available on Linux, macOS and Windows.
                  Xamarin is a framework for .NET available on Android and iOS.
                  So yeah, its pretty cross-platform.

Originally posted by ypnos View Post
                  Sounds to me like the intention of uid313 was that .NET Core applications would be able to use Qt 6. As of now, .NET Core is severely lacking in cross-platform GUI options.
                  Yes, that would be cool!
                  Windows Forms, Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) and WinUI / UWP are available for .NET Core but only for Windows. Microsoft are open sourcing these, but they are only for Windows.
                  Xamarin.Forms is for Android and iOS, but have preview support for GTK and WPF.
                  Avalonia is inspired by WPF with some improvements. It is cross-platform.

Comment

Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post

Don't do that. I use scroll wheels to adjust settings. Please don't punish the rest of us because someone isn't paying attention to where their mouse pointer is.

If it's possible, could scrolling be set to a toggle that's off, windows only, and what we have now (if that isn't already possible)?

Comment

Working...
                    X