Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA 415.27 Linux Driver Released With GeForce RTX 2060 Support

Phoronix: NVIDIA 415.27 Linux Driver Released With GeForce RTX 2060 Support

With NVIDIA today officially shipping the GeForce RTX 2060 as the new $349 USD Turing graphics card, the 415.27 Linux driver was released today to officially support this new graphics card...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Meanwhile, in Windows-land, Nvidia released 417.71 with support for VESA Adaptive Sync, aka. "Freesync" on Pascal GPU's and newer. I wonder if that will make it to Linux-land eventually...

Comment

Originally posted by Brisse View Post
      Meanwhile, in Windows-land, Nvidia released 417.71 with support for VESA Adaptive Sync, aka. "Freesync" on Pascal GPU's and newer. I wonder if that will make it to Linux-land eventually...
      Currently works only via DisplayPort.

NVIDIA developers are mum about the ETA for this feature but that's not a surprise as it's always been like this.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

Currently works only via DisplayPort.

NVIDIA developers are mum about the ETA for this feature but that's not a surprise as it's always been like this.
        Is there anything else required from the window system to use freesync/gsync/vrr ?

Comment

Originally posted by Brisse View Post
          Yeah, they announced today as the day with driver support (without specifying any platforms). I was rather shocked to see a Linux driver update this morning along with the Windows one - then looked into and realized nvidia was just trolling us as usual. Hopefully they get it out and done soon - have a new freesync monitor coming in this week that I would like to test out before the return period is up.

Comment

Where is adaptive sync? windows has it already. Guess I'll move back to windows until it appears on linux, for testing purposes.

Comment

theriddick This is not the same driver as the one that was released to Windows users.

Comment

The only other listed change with the NVIDIA 415.27 Linux driver release is a new NVreg_RestrictProfilingToAdminUsers kernel module parameter if wishing to restrict access to GPU performance counters to root/sudo users only.
                More specifically, this is a step NVIDIA is taking in response to CVE-2018-6260, which was described by researchers in "Rendered Insecure: GPU Side Channel Attacks are Practical".

NVIDIA describe the new functionality as:

Restricting access to GPU performance counters

The NVIDIA graphics driver contains a vulnerability that may allow access
                to application data processed on the GPU through a side channel exposed by
                the GPU performance counters. In order to prevent this vulnerability from
                being exploited, usage of the GPU performance counters can be restricted
                to system administrators (users with the CAP_SYS_ADMIN capability set), on
                systems where it is unnecessary for unprivileged users to utilize GPU
                performance counters.

Access to GPU performance counters can be restricted by setting the kernel
                module parameter "NVreg_RestrictProfilingToAdminUsers=1" in the nvidia.ko
                kernel module. This can be set on the command line when loading the
                module, or more appropriately via your distribution's kernel module
                configuration files (such as those under /etc/modprobe.d/). By default,
                the GPU performance counters are not restricted to users with the
                CAP_SYS_ADMIN capability.

For further information on side-channel attacks via the GPU performance
                counters as described by CVE-2018-6260, please see the security notice
                located at: https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answ...tail/a_id/4738.

Comment

I just got a laptop with an RTX 2060 card, I'm having some atrocious issues with it, unreliable performance, the 2060 is supposed to be similar to the 980-Ti (equal or better; this remains true for laptop models), but I copied my mpv configuration from my desktop which has a 980-Ti, and tried it on the laptop with the 2060, it lags to shit, it's unwatchable.

Even if I disable the interpolation (the most likely culprit of performance issues with mpv) it was still delaying hundreds of frames per minute when using the hardware accelerated profile in mpv.

Quite disappointing, I don't know if this is drivers or hardware yet though.

Comment

Working...
                  X