Khronos Exploring New Industry Standard For Heterogeneous Communications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Khronos Exploring New Industry Standard For Heterogeneous Communications

Phoronix: Khronos Exploring New Industry Standard For Heterogeneous Communications

From VR to autonomous vehicles to edge computing, The Khronos Group continues working on new industry standards for today's expanding compute landscape. Today the organization announced they are soliciting industry feedback and creating an exploratory group for a new, open industry standard around High Performance Embedded Computing (HPEC)...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Obligatory xkcd: https://xkcd.com/927/

With that said, I'm curious what and when (if ever) will replace MPI in HPC. MPI has now almost three decades of history and practically all half-serious hpc software is making use of it. There are interesting alternatives, sure, but they somehow can't go beyond the level of academic curiosity ...

Comment

Why not to standardize M3?

M3: A Hardware/Operating-System Co-Design to Tame Heterogeneous Manycores

from
      ASPLOS 2016

21th ACM International Conference on Architectural Support for Programming Languages and Operating Systems
      Atlanta, GA, April 2–6, 2016

Comment

IMO, the decisions underlying the design of a framework has a lot to do with the intended usage. For instance, I would expect a framework used by mobile apps for cloud compute-offload to look different than a framework used within a HPC cluster.

I think it's an interesting project, if they're trying to create one API that can cover all those use cases. However, whether and how you would do things like snapshotting or reliable delivery of messages would seem to differ quite a lot.

Comment

Working...
        X