No announcement yet.

Intel To Eventually Explore Offering A Graphics Control Panel For Linux Systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel To Eventually Explore Offering A Graphics Control Panel For Linux Systems

Phoronix: Intel To Eventually Explore Offering A Graphics Control Panel For Linux Systems

Intel's Linux graphics driver stack has never offered its own vendor-specific driver control panel GUI like is common among all major graphics vendors on Windows, but instead they've opted for the command-line experience and making use of common interfaces with what's offered by the different desktop environments for resolution handling, multi-monitor setup, etc. But moving forward they may end up bringing a new graphics driver control panel to Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I just hope their control panel is going to closely resemble the Windows one...

Comment

This would be awesome! I hope AMD finally follow along too.

Comment

the way intel graphics is interacting with the community is awesome, lets hope they keep being this way after launch

Comment

One of the things I love about Linux is that everything just works and there are no control panels, loaders, systrays, applications loaded on startup, etc.

I am not hating on Windows, in fact I think Windows 10 is great and I like it.
          But on Windows the drivers are very big and bloated and comes with control panels that stay in the systray, and when you install a driver it is like 1 GB big.
          Network driver, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, audio, those are several hundred megabytes each too.

Comment

Yea, I think Windows drivers are bloated as well and I really like the simplicity, but great functionality of a CLI, but this is welcome and I know a lot of people appreciate it. Would like to see AMD do something as well, maybe bring over part of their QT based GUI from Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              One of the things I love about Linux is that everything just works and there are no control panels, loaders, systrays, applications loaded on startup, etc.

I am not hating on Windows, in fact I think Windows 10 is great and I like it.
              But on Windows the drivers are very big and bloated and comes with control panels that stay in the systray, and when you install a driver it is like 1 GB big.
              Everything can just work, and there can still be a Linux control panel. Bloat is not mandatory and one is not proof of the other.

To Intel: Thank you for considering this and hopefully this will be a "sooner" rather than a "later".

Comment

Originally posted by ihatemichael

It's called Qt, not QT.
                I am so so sorry about that, and I'm also really sorry about the alias you are using on this website because it is really really sad.

Comment

I think it would be better if GPU tuning would be integrated directly into Gnome Settings and KDE Settings apps.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                    I just hope their control panel is going to closely resemble the Windows one...
                    Dear God, no..
                    HUD mode like with Radeon on Windows? Fine, but desktop app control panel?
                    What puprose can this waste of memory possibly serve?

Comment

Working...
                    X