Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora Still Needs Help Testing The New Zchunk Metadata Support

Phoronix: Fedora Still Needs Help Testing The New Zchunk Metadata Support

Fedora has been working on transitioning to Zchunk for its DNF metadata due to its good compression ratio while being delta-friendly and leveraging the existing work of Zstandard and Zsync/casync. The metadata has been offered in Zchunk for some weeks while more client testing is needed before landing that support in Rawhide and in turn for Fedora 30...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

*sigh* you could've defined or linked to DNF. Not being a Fedora user, I had no clue what it was and had to wonder whether it's something I should know.

(corrected)
    Last edited by coder; 17 January 2019, 03:01 AM. Reason: Updated link.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
      *sigh* you could've defined or linked to DNF. Not being a Fedora user, I had no clue what it was and had to wonder whether it's something I should know.

https://github.com/akozumpl/dnf/
      DNF is akka YUM4 , correct link is here https://github.com/rpm-software-management/dnf

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post
        DNF is akka YUM4 , correct link is here https://github.com/rpm-software-management/dnf
        Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by hreindl View Post
          seriously besides google
          Obviously, I did look it up. That doesn't excuse the article for being so poorly written.

i am not a debian user and still well aware about changes in their packaging ecosystem and especially at phoronix there where a magnitude of articles about YUM/DNF in the past few years
          That's awesome, for you. I typically don't bother reading articles about packaging, but the headline of this article gave no clue that's what it concerned. It's just plain bad writing, when the entire article doesn't specify or even hint at the subject area it's discussing. It doesn't even have any tags (besides Fedora, which we already knew), for goodness' sake! It's just basic, accepted journalistic practice to give the reader some clue what you're talking about.

I'm not sorry for having standards. And I'm not sorry for calling out sub-standard writing.

Comment

when you state you don't use Fedora and there is a topic about whatever part of Fedora why do you even bother?
            Because I wanted to learn what ZChunk metadata was. I didn't recall seeing that term, so I clicked the article to find out what it was. I had no reason to believe that it was entirely scoped by the Fedora ecosystem - for all I knew, it could be some generic thing applicable elsewhere.

this is not print media, this is the internet and you can find any information you need within the blink of an eye
            Maybe that's fine for you, but I'm paying for this internet media and I have standards. It's definitely not too much to ask for the article to mention that it has something to do with package management, etc.

how old are you and what would you have done in the 1990s or even before where you had to seek, try and learn at your own because internet was not available or expensive?
            Why do you ask? Who the hell are you to pick a fight with me over my entirely legitimate criticism. Did you write the article? Are you his editor? Were you deputized by Michael to follow up on this complaint?

No? Then, I bid you good day.

Comment

Working...
            X