GNOME's Builder IDE Goes Through Its Biggest Code Refactoring Ever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME's Builder IDE Goes Through Its Biggest Code Refactoring Ever

Phoronix: GNOME's Builder IDE Goes Through Its Biggest Code Refactoring Ever

The lead developer of the GNOME Builder integrated development environment, Christian Hergert, has just led his project through its largest code re-factoring yet. Builder 3.32 coming out in March with GNOME 3.32 features more than 100k lines of code changed with various underlying improvements as well as some new features for developers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It looks like a really nice IDE. Does anyone here have any experience using it (this latest version or any recent, previous version)?

Comment

Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post
      It looks like a really nice IDE. Does anyone here have any experience using it (this latest version or any recent, previous version)?
      Yeah, it is pretty nice.
      The best thing is that you easily built Flatpak packages with it.

Comment

The UI is pretty cool and slick, kind of feels like Xcode.

But as with most Gnome apps, don't expect a bazillion features.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
          But as with most Gnome apps, don't expect a bazillion features.
          That's something I was concerned about.

If you can enhance it with plugins and by editing files manually, then I think I could tolerate a more-simple base IDE-GUI.

Comment

I've been using it as my primary C editor for about three years now. It's at its best when working with GNOME-adjacent technologies like projects written in GObject. It also has native support for working with the meson build-system these days, which is really nice.

It still has a few warts; its side-by-side editor can be a bit flaky and navigating between open tabs is not terribly well-optimized, but on the whole I have had fewer issues with it than when I used to use Eclipse.

Comment

That's something I was concerned about.

If you can enhance it with plugins and by editing files manually, then I think I could tolerate a more-simple base IDE-GUI.
              You can create plugins. https://blogs.gnome.org/chergert/201...lugins-part-i/

I'm holding out for language server plugins.

Comment

Originally posted by sgallagh View Post

I've been using it as my primary C editor for about three years now. It's at its best when working with GNOME-adjacent technologies like projects written in GObject. It also has native support for working with the meson build-system these days, which is really nice.

It still has a few warts; its side-by-side editor can be a bit flaky and navigating between open tabs is not terribly well-optimized, but on the whole I have had fewer issues with it than when I used to use Eclipse.
                Thanks for relaying your experience. You make it sound appealing. I'm going to try it out.

Comment

All the 13 users are highly excited.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
                    All the 13 users are highly excited.
                    It is actually really nice Rust editor. I just wish they added code suggestions e.g when you press "." that it provides suggestions. It works now only if you type in first letter of function/variable .

Comment

Working...
                    X