Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WLinux & WLinux Enterprise Benchmarks, The Linux Distributions Built For Windows 10 WSL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WLinux & WLinux Enterprise Benchmarks, The Linux Distributions Built For Windows 10 WSL

Phoronix: WLinux & WLinux Enterprise Benchmarks, The Linux Distributions Built For Windows 10 WSL

Making the news rounds a few months back was "WLinux", which was the first Linux distribution designed for Microsoft's Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) on Windows 10. But is this pay-to-play Linux distribution any faster than the likes of Ubuntu, openSUSE, and Debian already available from the Microsoft Store? Here are some benchmarks of these different Linux distribution options with WSL.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

No bare-metal Linux reference?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      And I, on the contrary, appreciated that it was only WSL based tests. More readable charts, since the only time I'd use a WSL-only distribution would be when using WSL.

Still would like to see CentOS in the store. Or at least Fedora.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
        That's not really the point of this benchmark.

Comment

Would have been interesting to see how well GUI applications work in the different distros - I also wonder if Linux games (can be made to) work in WSL..

I know this doesn't make much sense as there probably is no game that has a native Linux-version but none for Windows, but I'm still curious. And /maybe/ this could be useful for (some steps of) porting games to Linux?

Comment

This is bassackwards. Who the hell runs Windows as a primary OS then does Linux stuff in it. That just infects Linux with the Windows weaknesses. It's lose/lose.

Run Linux as primary and Windows under it if you must.

Comment

Originally posted by DanielG View Post
              I know this doesn't make much sense as there probably is no game that has a native Linux-version but none for Windows, but I'm still curious. And /maybe/ this could be useful for (some steps of) porting games to Linux?
              No it would not help porting games to linux as 100% of Linux games are using APIs that are also 100% available on Windows (OpenGL/Vulkan), so the hardest part in a port is solved by a relatively simple pass-through.

Comment

Working...
              X