Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Benchmarking The Current Spectre + Meltdown Performance Overhead For 10 GbE Networking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Benchmarking The Current Spectre + Meltdown Performance Overhead For 10 GbE Networking

Phoronix: Benchmarking The Current Spectre + Meltdown Performance Overhead For 10 GbE Networking

While running the Windows vs. BSD vs. Linux 10GbE network benchmarks among other recent 10GbE Linux network performance figures, the test request came in from a premium patron to look at the current 10GbE network performance hit as a result of the default Spectre+Meltdown mitigations...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hi,

it could be great to test pps too (with 64bytes packet size for example) and not only bandwith... (BTW, what is the packet size in your tests ?)

Comment

Why would you run intel_powersave as the scaler for server throughput tests?
      Also, I second the interrupt and context switch loading with small packet sizes spirit.
      BW is secondary to context changes in loading the CPU.

Comment

Originally posted by milkylainen View Post
        Why would you run intel_powersave as the scaler for server throughput tests?
        Also, I second the interrupt and context switch loading with small packet sizes spirit.
        BW is secondary to context changes in loading the CPU.
        That's the default P-State governor on most Linux distributions.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I think some measure of CPU utilization would be interesting. I would expect a bigger difference, there.

Comment

Working...
          X