Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The New Features On Deck For Mesa 19.0: Vulkan Additions, FreeSync, Soft FP64 & More

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The New Features On Deck For Mesa 19.0: Vulkan Additions, FreeSync, Soft FP64 & More

Phoronix: The New Features On Deck For Mesa 19.0: Vulkan Additions, FreeSync, Soft FP64 & More

If all goes well, Mesa 19.0 will see its feature freeze this week and kick off the release process by the issuing of the first release candidate. Here's a look at some of what can be expected out of this Mesa3D quarterly feature update...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Cannot wait for freesync!

Comment

Originally posted by tichun
      Don't worry about gl4.6 There is more need to get Vulkan in better shape as GL is already proven. GL seems like a burden now, so why put so much time into it?
      because it's developed by different people?
      because nobody is going to rewrite every opengl app?

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
        because it's developed by different people?
        because nobody is going to rewrite every opengl app?
        Opengl apps tend to be super rare even under windows. Devs tend to go native for performance. The only notable applet you can think of is Minecraft, which certainly does not require 4.6. Is there any applet on Mono that would require it? Managed OpenGL isn't that popular under windows either.

Comment

Does freesync support work with Vulkan in Mesa master? I've seen people saying it worked with OpenGL but not with Vulkan for them.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post

Opengl apps tend to be super rare even under windows. Devs tend to go native for performance.
            OpenGL is native on Windows. It's not translated unless you are using ANGLE and such.

Comment

I would like to stop having full system lockups on my Vega 64 while playing CS:GO.

Comment

Opengl apps tend to be super rare even under windows. Devs tend to go native for performance. The only notable applet you can think of is Minecraft
                i'm sure there are thousands of opengl linux games.
                , which certainly does not require 4.6.
                i don't think any app required 4.5. the point is not in requirement, but in optimisation. it is easier to add spirv shader storage to game than to rewrite renderer from opengl to vulkan. and to rewrite it to not be slower is even harder. also keep in mind that amd opengl is developed by amd people and amd has opengl workstation customers who have apps you've never seen
                Last edited by pal666; 30 January 2019, 01:41 AM.

Comment

Opengl apps tend to be super rare even under windows. Devs tend to go native for performance. The only notable applet you can think of is Minecraft, which certainly does not require 4.6. Is there any applet on Mono that would require it? Managed OpenGL isn't that popular under windows either.
                  I dunno. id games such as DOOM 2016, RAGE, etc. as well as No Man's Sky, are all OGL-based There are a few others as well, that I can't name on top of my head.

Comment

Working...
                  X