New System76 Darter Pro Coming Soon With Intel 8th Gen CPUs, 1080p Display

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New System76 Darter Pro Coming Soon With Intel 8th Gen CPUs, 1080p Display

Phoronix: New System76 Darter Pro Coming Soon With Intel 8th Gen CPUs, 1080p Display

Should you not be into the new Dell XPS 13 9380 with Ubuntu pre-loaded nor the new Librem laptops that rely on older Intel CPUs, another option is coming with System76 that will be releasing a new version of their Darter Pro laptop next week. The new System76 Darter Pro is built around Intel's 8th Gen mobile processors...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

System76 seems to indicate that this will have substantial battery life... Which is definitely a good thing... But when the hell is System76 coming out with 9th generation Intel and Nvidia turing?

Comment

System76 is finally starting to pay attention to battery life and bezel thickness.

Comment

if they only add an option for an AMD APU would be neat

Comment

Originally posted by hiryu View Post
          System76 seems to indicate that this will have substantial battery life... Which is definitely a good thing... But when the hell is System76 coming out with 9th generation Intel and Nvidia turing?
          Serval gets them before the lessers. Supplies are constricted right now.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLexMachine View Post

Serval gets them before the lessers. Supplies are constricted right now.
            Ah, thanks! That makes sense I suppose. I'm waiting for this to happen with the Oryx Pro.

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
              if they only add an option for an AMD APU would be neat
              I had already asked them for such an option, as well as providing options in the budget category (something on the level of Dell's Vostro 3000s, including pricing), including options for AMD GPUs.
              At the very least, they are considering these options.

Comment

Not a fan. Purchased a S76 laptop and it worked fine until they released a power-management “update” that prevented my system from sleeping.
                my battery was damaged and data was lost on SSD.

I would recommend passing on their garbage.

Comment

Originally posted by aschmidtm View Post
                  Not a fan. Purchased a S76 laptop and it worked fine until they released a power-management “update” that prevented my system from sleeping.
                  my battery was damaged and data was lost on SSD.

I would recommend passing on their garbage.
                  Whoa! This one surprised me because there's a lot of misinformation to unpack.

1) An update prevented your system from sleeping. You didn't bother investigating in any way?
                  2) If you battery died that fast from an "update", you didn't bother contacting support and explaining the situation to see if you can get an early battery replacement?
                  3) And you lost data on your SSD? I don't believe you. Filesystems now-a-days are good about writing dirty data to disk, and with an SSD, unless you have gigabytes in memory, should be nearly instantaneous. This statement would make sense if you were still on a hard drive.

Being irresponsible through-out the whole process is not a reason to say hardware is garbage.

EDIT: I have a System76 Bonobo from 2012 and I contacted their support twice, once for a keyboard replacement and once for a battery replacement. You pay out of pocket if you don't have a warranty, but you get what you ask for.
                  Last edited by damentz; 29 January 2019, 05:58 PM. Reason: Put disclaimer of owning system76 laptop.

Comment

Still no TPM. Meh.

Comment

Working...
                    X