Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenVPN 3 Linux Client Moving Closer To Release As A Big Update

Phoronix: OpenVPN 3 Linux Client Moving Closer To Release As A Big Update

While many are looking forward to the day when WireGuard support is mainlined within the Linux kernel and declared as stable and widely supported as a next-gen secure VPN tunnel, for those making use of OpenVPN currently, the OpenVPN 3 Linux client has been taking shape as a big step forward on the OpenVPN front...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Going to get replaced by Wireguard.

Comment

According to the VPN provider "perfect-privacy", undoubtly one of the most trustworthy and secure providers, they said that thare are still many uncleared
      problems with Wireguard, preventing them from offering official support anytime soon.

A detailed look at the WireGuard protocol and why the disadvantages currently do not make it suitable for Perfect Privacy.

Comment

We sometimes play older games that are LAN- but not internet-capable or they have been and the servers went down a long time ago. We used OpenVPN in TAP mode as those games were discovering each other with broadcasts. Now as OpenVPN drops TAP mode we'll have to find something new. Does Wireguard have a layer 2 mode?

Comment

Integration of efficient compression as zstd and test it at 1Gbps should be greate
          Developer of Ultracopier/CatchChallenger and CEO of Confiared

Comment

Originally posted by juno View Post
            We sometimes play older games that are LAN- but not internet-capable or they have been and the servers went down a long time ago. We used OpenVPN in TAP mode as those games were discovering each other with broadcasts. Now as OpenVPN drops TAP mode we'll have to find something new. Does Wireguard have a layer 2 mode?
            I'm assuming multiplayer games aren't extremely sensitive information, so you should be fine by switching to plain L2TP (that is level 2 but has no encryption) or if you really need it encrypted to L2TP/IPSec. https://www.cactusvpn.com/beginners-.../what-is-l2tp/

Comment

Originally posted by Morbis55 View Post
              According to the VPN provider "perfect-privacy", undoubtly one of the most trustworthy and secure providers, they said that thare are still many uncleared
              problems with Wireguard, preventing them from offering official support anytime soon.

https://www.perfect-privacy.com/blog...pros-and-cons/
              I am not sure if you are being sarcastic or not, but this article does not actually underlines some of the best pros of Wireguard (terse protocol, roaming capabilities, single key configuration, IMO), while the cons it gives are really not convincing either (especially when it comes to thir in-house solution). I also never heard of that website either before, and I am not sure if it's really trustworthy?

Comment

Boa, if they really kill TAP many will get _really_ big problems - me included... Already for administration of foreign networks I often need L2, because the administration software of devices often does L2 things (broadcast for detection and the like)...

Comment

Originally posted by mifritscher View Post
                  Boa, if they really kill TAP many will get _really_ big problems - me included... Already for administration of foreign networks I often need L2, because the administration software of devices often does L2 things (broadcast for detection and the like)...
                  You need to look closely at how you are doing this wireguard is also only L3 TUN. Bad point there is little more of a reason than something simple.

Originally posted by hreindl View Post
                  it will rip away OpenVPN just because of their stupidity promtoe non-free stuff and the argumentation "TAP support is not planned, as all VPN APIs on mobile devices and even the Unified Windows Platform (UWP) API does only support TUN mode" is pretty sure the dumbest i heard in this new year
                  I wish this was the only reason then it would be a dumb idea to drop TAP support. Problem is MAC Randomization. What should happen when you end up with two machines on both sides of a VPN link with the same MAC address what one should the L2 packet go to. Before you say we will just do MAC address duplicate detection some people patented some forms of that in 2014. I will not quote current patent numbers some people would 100 percent not like that.

Basically layer 3 vpn makes the vpn a mac address conflict barrier. Lets say you have 5 sites joined up by vpn TAP and you start having random failures could be a bit hard it if happening because of mac address conflict and its because someone has brought their laptop or phone in. The conflict could result in like your main DNS/file server disappear for everyone. Same vpn network this time connect by L3 the breakage will be restricted to 1 segment.

We don't have dhcp for mac addresses in prior art. Guess what was patented.

Mobile devices and UWP and the like are pushing TUN because IP address conflict detection and resolution has prior art and Layer 2 to have mac address conflict detection and resolution could be pay patent. Layer 2 bridging may have to disappear resulting in having to use IP routing and management agents of some form running on both sides of the VPN. Yes management agents are covered by prior art.

Comment

Originally posted by hreindl View Post
                    don't get me wrong but after more than 10 years running 5 openvpn instances with tap and connecting whole networks together with a combination of tap bridging and routing I don't buy the "mac could collide"

it's trivial to check the existence of a mac within the same bridge and randomize again
                    Same here, but with Windows VPN (which offers only layer 2 protocols like PPTP and L2TP) on a load of small companies (50 hosts or less for each), and a few middle-size ones (many hundreds of hosts).

I've never ever ever had hardware MAC conflicts, the only MAC conflicts I've seen happened because someone in IT was doing something specific to spoof MAC or copied VMs in a server and then failed to set them up properly afterwards (as VMWare will randomize again the MAC if the VM is cloned and set up properly).

BUT I do recognize that this could be an obvious way to break massive havok "with a simple trick" anyone could learn from youtube, so I'm fine with it being forced to disappear.

I'd personally also love to throw the whole "modern" network stack in a fire as it's beyond stupid. What's the fucking point of having 2 separate addressing systems running in parallel (MAC and IP), just make ONE that can do all jobs.

Comment

Working...
                    X