Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New System76 Darter Pro Now Shipping At $999+

Phoronix: New System76 Darter Pro Now Shipping At $999+

Last week System76 announced the new Darter Pro laptop with Intel 8th Gen CPUs while today the ordering process has opened up on this latest 15-inch laptop from the Linux-focused vendor. They hadn't revealed pricing information last week but we now know that information...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

A fairly bland offering for close to a thousand dollars. You can walk into most any retailer and walk out with that much power for a few hundred less. I know system76 is all about Linux compatibility what with their own custom distro and all, but I take a thumb drive with a live distro on it to the shop just to check before I buy.

Comment

XPS13 has USB-C charging and video output (so it's compatible with WD15 dock station that isn't thunderbolt). I'm wondering if Darter has the same

Comment

Unfortunately their laptops does not come with international keyboards.
        That makes it a no go for me.

Comment

Originally posted by adept View Post
          XPS13 has USB-C charging and video output (so it's compatible with WD15 dock station that isn't thunderbolt). I'm wondering if Darter has the same
          This thing looks like a larger Galago for the most part. Same CPU and memory options, etc. I just got a Galago and it has USB-C charging, but I haven't tried video output. If I had known the Darter was coming out so soon I would have waited for it.

EDIT:
          I want to clarify the USB-C charging on the Galago is for other devices, not for the laptop itself.
          Last edited by fuzz; 06 February 2019, 03:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ensayia View Post
            A fairly bland offering for close to a thousand dollars. You can walk into most any retailer and walk out with that much power for a few hundred less. I know system76 is all about Linux compatibility what with their own custom distro and all, but I take a thumb drive with a live distro on it to the shop just to check before I buy.
            Now that's voting with your money!

Comment

Originally posted by pracedru View Post
              Unfortunately their laptops does not come with international keyboards.
              That makes it a no go for me.
              Not anymore, then, as I had a Lemur with international keyboard.

Comment

Originally posted by Ensayia View Post
                Not sure what your point is. It's also cheaper to grill a steak at home, than to order one in a restaurant. You seem to prefer spending many hours to do it yourself, and that's fine, but plenty of folks are happy to pay for a validated, tested, ready-to-use experience, that also comes with vendor support. Good luck calling the Big Box Store for support when you discover your favorite Linux distro doesn't support the keyboard backlight or the webcam or whatever.

Comment

I wish that System76 would release something that can compete in the budget part of the market.
                  Something along the lines of an i3-7100U (change this to whatever is the current generation of either Intel or AMD), 4GB of DDR4-2400, a 15.6" 768p matte TN (but not a horrid one), a moderate backlit keyboard (with the numpad, a touchpad like in Dell's low end offerings, and 500GB of spinning SATA3 storage, (with an additional M.2 SATA/NVME slot available) along with a full-size USB3 SD card reader, at least 2 USB3 ports, 1 USB-C port, and 1 USB2 port (adjust as you see fit, so long as there are at least 2 USB3-legacy and 1 USB-C port), and an Intel or Qualcomm 1x1 (or better, 2x2) Wireless-AC or AX card, both VGA and HDMI, a DVD burner, a removable 4-cell 40+Wh battery (which will provide at least 6 hours of battery life of the general user's moderate use), optional AMD dGPU, and a weight of ~2kg, for around 350-400$, as a starting point.

That will make it easier for some people (like me, currently) to buy laptops from System76 (though there are still the warranty and shipping issues, due to me not living in the US)

Comment

Originally posted by moriel5 View Post
                    I wish that System76 would release something that can compete in the budget part of the market.
                    Main reason this doesn't happen is because profit margins are razor thin to non-existent, and since System76 isn't interested in stockpiling and selling off your personal data to companies across the globe, it can't really make a business in budget hardware.

Comment

Working...
                    X