GRUB 2.04 Is On The Way This Year Along With Other New Bootloader Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GRUB 2.04 Is On The Way This Year Along With Other New Bootloader Features

Phoronix: GRUB 2.04 Is On The Way This Year Along With Other New Bootloader Features

Daniel Kiper of Oracle presented at last week's FOSDEM European conference on the latest upstream work happening around the GRUB boot-loader...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

GRUB EFI runs incredibly slow on ARM. Hope they spend some time optimizing it because it takes around 10 seconds to load GRUB's menu.

Comment

I was hoping to see more LVM2 and ZFS support. If one uses either Grub or ZFS with Grub, it sucks being limited to LVM1 for /boot encryption.

It really really sucks having to keep /boot on a separate drive or partition because Grub doesn't support all of the encryption schemes that the OS/kernel/volume managers/filesystems support.

It's just damn annoying when setting up and administering systems since /boot has to be treated differently than everything else regardless of one's preferred filesystem encryption scheme...unless one wants to LVM1 everything...a bit misleading to leave that out.

Now I suspect all the anti-ZFS GRUB stuff comes from that big red Oracle logo on the Grub slides.

Comment

How can you forget F2SS support, Michael?! :-)
        Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

I really hope there is a release soon. I want to use zstd with btrfs on boot partitions.

Comment

2 Oracle Devs, wonder if Oracle will relicense Grub to AGPLv3 like they did with libdb

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
              I really hope there is a release soon. I want to use zstd with btrfs on boot partitions.
              all ZSTd is, is a compression agent,

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post

all ZSTd is, is a compression agent,
                that doesn't matter, from a clean slate using btrfs with zstd compression across the board, grub can have read errors. it's been a while since I've read the technical details, but it's something like one or two files grub depends on under /boot, grub can't read them if zstd compresses them a certain way. the workarounds were either to use chatter to keep specific files under /boot uncompressible or to set compression on all the top level directories one at a time except for /boot.

Comment

LUKS2 headers? ZFS encryption?
                  ## VGA ##
                  AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                  Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post
                    2 Oracle Devs, wonder if Oracle will relicense Grub to AGPLv3 like they did with libdb
                    As far as I know, Oracle is not the copyright holder of GRUB.

Comment

Working...
                    X