No announcement yet.

The Performance Benefits To Running AMD's Radeon VII With Linux 5.0 + Mesa 19.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Performance Benefits To Running AMD's Radeon VII With Linux 5.0 + Mesa 19.0

Phoronix: The Performance Benefits To Running AMD's Radeon VII With Linux 5.0 + Mesa 19.0

With today's launch benchmarks of the AMD Radeon VII graphics card on Linux, tests were done using the latest Linux 5.0 Git kernel as well as Mesa 19.0 providing the OpenGL/Gallium3D drivers. Details on the support going back to older releases were covered, but in this article is looking at the performance difference between those recent Linux kernel and Mesa releases.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Batman: Akrham Origins

Comment

Some significant gains with the latest software, if they can squeeze a bit more out of it then it could consistently beat the 2080.
      Last edited by Templar82; 07 February 2019, 08:18 PM. Reason: forgot how to english

Comment

Are you able to alter the clocks or voltage on linux? Nobody seems to be able to do it on windows.

Comment

Nobody is able? I read on golem.de, that they undervolted the gpu and could reduce power consumption. AFAIR someone said in the comments, that computer-based managed to run it stable at some 210 watts. Same performance.

Comment

Very impressive that the new Radeon VII runs even on older Mesa and kernel releases. Basically all the Windows sites complained about stability issues with the AMDGPU-pro driver, seems like this time the open drivers make a real difference.

Comment

I wonder if Navi will have a good support from the very beginning. It will be the first generation after GCN so I wonder if the driver will be available in a good shape after launch.

Comment

Originally posted by ThoreauHD View Post
                Are you able to alter the clocks or voltage on linux? Nobody seems to be able to do it on windows.
                Adding to waht oleid said, on graphics benchmark some people were able to reduce about 60W with undervolting and same perf

Vega loves undervolting

Comment

SweClockers.com used Wattman with good results, at least in regards to undervolting. Link

1084 mV (stock) Junction Temperature during load: 109 C @ 3000 rpm
                  972 mV (reduced) Junction Temperature during load: 99 C @ 2400 rpm

Average system power draw was reduced with 60 W.

Comment

AMD always seems to leave a bit of a margin (and I imagine Intel does as well). I undervolted my netbook with a Brazos/ZacateAPU by about 7-10% (to 0.825 / 1.037 / 1.212 V for 0.8 / 1.2 / 1.6Ghz), and it helped reduce power consumption and hence temperatures and fan speed immensely.

Obviously YMMV, especially in stress situations - it took a lot of juggling to find the point where it wouldn't freeze on a speed transition - but if you're using a system for a significant amount of time it's worth your while tuning to its actual capabilities.

Comment

Working...
                    X