Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GreenWithEnvy 0.11 Released For More Overclocking Potential Of NVIDIA GPUs On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GreenWithEnvy 0.11 Released For More Overclocking Potential Of NVIDIA GPUs On Linux

Phoronix: GreenWithEnvy 0.11 Released For More Overclocking Potential Of NVIDIA GPUs On Linux

GreenWithEnvy v0.11 has been released, the latest version of this third-party, open-source utility for altering the power limits of NVIDIA graphics cards on Linux as well as more overclocking information/controls than what is exposed through the NVIDIA Settings panel with the NVIDIA proprietary driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    various bugs and UI fies.
    That UI looks great. It can compete (and perhaps even do better) with the official control panel!

(the official panel looks a little dated)

Comment

Can this be used with old nVidia cards?
      It does appear that it could also be useful for gamers as well(If you watch Linus Tech Tips, you know that they love to overclock)..
      Now all we need is CPU overclocking tools(it seems like there are/were some overclock tools, but they were all terminal-based, didn't work well, and haven't been supported for years)

Comment

I can't imagine it would be that hard to add the AMD sysfs stuff to this.

Comment

"At least the NVIDIA-Settings panel does a good job offering basic overclock controls that is enough to satisfy most gamers and enthusiasts."
          Nope, no real voltage control is not satisfying at all.

Comment

I poked through the Github for this tool, and cannot see if it addresses undervolting at all. I feel like there is a greater demand for undervolt vs overclock (this is at least true for me). Especially those with NVidia cards in their laptop.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
              "At least the NVIDIA-Settings panel does a good job offering basic overclock controls that is enough to satisfy most gamers and enthusiasts."
              Nope, no real voltage control is not satisfying at all.
              That is a limitation by the Nvidia driver on Pascal and newer cards. You simply can't change the voltage on those cards under Linux. I have no idea why Nvidia removed this ability, as it is still possible on Windows with the same cards. GWE doesn't change anything on that.

Comment

Originally posted by bofh80
                Indeed, if the people behind this and gtk wattman could get together one way or another that would be a great start.
                Maybe factor it into a generic library, which could be used by a GNOME/KDE/etc. panel, one which carefully warns people against overvolting and overclocking their cards unless they recognize the warranty impact.
                Last edited by microcode; 11 February 2019, 09:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kgonzales View Post
                  I poked through the Github for this tool, and cannot see if it addresses undervolting at all. I feel like there is a greater demand for undervolt vs overclock (this is at least true for me). Especially those with NVidia cards in their laptop.
                  If you're looking to save power, the nvidia driver allows you to set a power limit for your card. Look at the documentation for nvidia-smi. The "-pl" command will allow you to set a power limit.
                  Code:
                  nvidia-smi -pl ###
                  Where ### is the max wattage you want the card to draw.

Comment

Working...
                  X