Dell XPS 13 9380 + Intel Core i7 8565U Ubuntu Linux Performance Benchmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dell XPS 13 9380 + Intel Core i7 8565U Ubuntu Linux Performance Benchmarks

Phoronix: Dell XPS 13 9380 + Intel Core i7 8565U Ubuntu Linux Performance Benchmarks

At the end of January, Dell announced the Dell XPS 13 9380 Developer Edition laptop as an upgraded version of the XPS 9370 with now having Intel Whiskey Lake CPUs and other minor improvements. Over the past two weeks I've been testing out the Dell XPS 9380 with Intel Core i7 8565U processor with 256GB of NVMe SSD storage and 16GB of RAM. Here are benchmarks of the Dell XPS 9380 compared to several other laptops running Ubuntu Linux as well as looking at the system thermal and power consumption among other metrics.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typos:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    The Dell XPS 13 9380 being tested has the Intel Core i7 565U processor
    Must be pretty old...

The downside of laptops/ultrabooks becoming incredibly thin is cooling the powerful chips is much harger.
    Running OpenSSL on the Dell XPS 13 9380 quickly warmed it up too, but at least it receeded quickly.
    Last edited by tildearrow; 11 February 2019, 01:37 PM.

Comment

What did the fans sound like under load on the 9380 ?

Comment

While this laptop may not be on the same league of a Dell XPS, it will show how much you loose on the Macbook Air clones:

Notebookcheck.com reviews the Tuxedo Book BU1307, a 13.3-inch Linux laptop, which is equipped with an Intel Core i7-8550U processor that integrates an Intel UHD Graphics 620, 16 GB RAM and a 256 GB SSD.

Easy of maintenance, upgrades, not a single adapter needed on this puppy (unless you have USB type C only peripherals), cool temps, etc.

Of course, people too sensitive to aesthetics will try to burn it, for not to be as thin as a piece of paper.

Comment

Originally posted by linuxjacques View Post
          What did the fans sound like under load on the 9380 ?
          Not noisy, at least nothing abnormal compared to any other recent laptop I've been around.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Sounds like a good laptop, though obviously not worth upgrading from the 9370.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
              While this laptop may not be on the same league of a Dell XPS, it will show how much you loose on the Macbook Air clones:

Notebookcheck.com reviews the Tuxedo Book BU1307, a 13.3-inch Linux laptop, which is equipped with an Intel Core i7-8550U processor that integrates an Intel UHD Graphics 620, 16 GB RAM and a 256 GB SSD.

Easy of maintenance, upgrades, not a single adapter needed on this puppy (unless you have USB type C only peripherals), cool temps, etc.

Of course, people too sensitive to aesthetics will try to burn it, for not to be as thin as a piece of paper.
              Those laptops and configurations do not suck. And the default 2 year warranty is very nice. Thanks for sharing this!

Comment

Now if only they released a version of the XPS 15 9570 without the DGPU (or nvidia fixes optimus on linux) and the same i7. That thing would be a Linux beast.

Comment

It’s incredible how much things continue to improve in a few short years. I hope it continues somewhat longer. It would be great to see some competition from AMD in the thin and light space.

I’m using a broadwell-era HP Spectre x360, and it’s still fantastic and gets me great battery life.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

That's some pretty good hardware design right there.

Won't attract chics, but none will feel like stealing it either.

Comment

Working...
                    X