RadeonSI Picks Up Primitive Culling With Async Compute For Performance Wins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RadeonSI Picks Up Primitive Culling With Async Compute For Performance Wins

Phoronix: RadeonSI Picks Up Primitive Culling With Async Compute For Performance Wins

Prolific open-source AMD Linux driver developer Marek Olšák has sent out his latest big patch series in the name of performance. His new set of 26 patches provide primitive culling with asynchronous compute and at least for workstation workloads yields a big performance uplift...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

holy
    fucking
    shit

We can only hope this makes it one step closer to dumping the proprietary driver once and for all!

Comment

I guess all good game engines already try to cull invisible geometry themselves? Will be interesting to see more results!

Comment

Ain't that nice.

Comment

Originally posted by ernstp View Post
          I guess all good game engines already try to cull invisible geometry themselves? Will be interesting to see more results!
          I think they only can do so much about it. I wonder if this eg does help when, say, a character model is half hidden behind a wall.

Comment

This code is inspired by what is already being done in the Frostbite engine [1], i.e. the Battlefield 4+. I would guess most of the AAA games targeting consoles (that have GCN hardware) already do something similar.

It would be great to see which games benefit from this optimization so that it can be turned on on them.

[1] https://frostbite-wp-prd.s3.amazonaw...16_Compute.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by Wielkie G View Post
              This code is inspired by what is already being done in the Frostbite engine [1], i.e. the Battlefield 4+. I would guess most of the AAA games targeting consoles (that have GCN hardware) already do something similar.

It would be great to see which games benefit from this optimization so that it can be turned on on them.

[1] https://frostbite-wp-prd.s3.amazonaw...16_Compute.pdf
              Axel has already suggested using information from the performance counters to control this optimisation

Comment

This is what happens when games are "tweaked" to do unnecessary computations to benefit a certain "green" gpu maker

Comment

@Michael: could you also try it with not the fastest 100core cpu?

Comment

Originally posted by ernstp View Post
                    I guess all good game engines already try to cull invisible geometry themselves?!
                    You wish.

Comment

Working...
                    X