No announcement yet.

Qt 5.13 Alpha Released With WebAssembly Preview, Qt Lottie Technical Preview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qt 5.13 Alpha Released With WebAssembly Preview, Qt Lottie Technical Preview

Phoronix: Qt 5.13 Alpha Released With WebAssembly Preview, Qt Lottie Technical Preview

The Qt Company has announced the alpha release of the forthcoming Qt 5.13 tool-kit...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does anyone know if QT 5.13 is slated to support the primary selection wayland protocol?

https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-66008 seems to mention it is possible now to implement something, though not sure if there is any movement
    Last edited by boxie; 13 February 2019, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post
      Does anyone know if QT 5.13 is slated to support the primary selection wayland protocol?

https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-66008 seems to mention it is possible now to implement something, though not sure if there is any movement
      Well, it is still an unstable standard, but feel free to implement it I don't see any commits in progress on the subject.
      Last edited by carewolf; 13 February 2019, 12:04 PM.

Comment

I look forward to the Webassembly support. The idea of having to use completely different languages, APIs etc on desktop and on mobile makes no sense, it makes sens to be able to re-use code and know how for both form factors. You can make tweaks to the GUI for each form factor but you can then re-use the majority of the code. On Android and Iphone, webassembly and progressive web apps replacing the platform specific environments is much welcome and will save us a lot of time and effort in porting apps.

Comment

Originally posted by jpg44 View Post
          I look forward to the Webassembly support. The idea of having to use completely different languages, APIs etc on desktop and on mobile makes no sense, it makes sens to be able to re-use code and know how for both form factors. You can make tweaks to the GUI for each form factor but you can then re-use the majority of the code. On Android and Iphone, webassembly and progressive web apps replacing the platform specific environments is much welcome and will save us a lot of time and effort in porting apps.
          Ummm, you can write portable code with Qt and produce native binaries for desktop and mobile platforms without the overheads and limitations of wasm. No need to cripple your performance and memory efficiency and limit functionality due to lack of support for stuff like.. say multithreading. In fact, you can significantly increase your platform support reach using native binaries, as those can work on very barebone embedded platforms that may not even have an environment to support wasm.

Last but certainly not least, wasm will drag in licensing woes, do not expect to be able to use that for commercial proprietary applications without owning a commercial Qt license. Whereas with native Qt binaries you can sell applications under LGPL. Best case scenario, you will have to license your code under GLP, which means you will have to open source it.
          Last edited by ddriver; 13 February 2019, 01:20 PM.

Comment

I hope that they will fix the misplaced menus on Wayland now, this bug is open since forever (seems to work inaccurate only when using global menus).
            Last edited by R41N3R; 13 February 2019, 06:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post

Well, it is still an unstable standard, but feel free to implement it I don't see any commits in progress on the subject.
              I wish that I had the time to learn enough C/C++, KWin/plasma and finally Wayland to be able to implement this.

Comment

Working...
              X