Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB NVMe Linux SSD Benchmarks

Phoronix: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB NVMe Linux SSD Benchmarks

Announced at the end of January was the Samsung 970 EVO Plus as the first consumer-grade solid-state drive with 96-layer 3D NAND memory. The Samsung 970 EVO NVMe SSDs are now shipping and in this review are the first Linux benchmarks of these new SSDs in the form of the Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB MZ-V7S500B/AM compared to several other SSDs on Linux.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

On the Sqlite issue, there are several cases online where DBA's have noticed that certain implementations of TRIM do not like delayed writes of inserts. They prefer the insert be written each time rather than grouped.

I am not a DBA, but I have heard about various SSD models having database write back issues.

Perhaps this is what the Samsung models are struggling with.

Comment

Michael Typo:

A 2GB model is expected to ship this spring.
      I guess it should be 2TB.

Comment

Could we get a Crucial P1 included in the next round of NVMe PCIe tests? It would be interesting to see how a budget option compares.

Comment

Originally posted by ssam View Post
          Could we get a Crucial P1 included in the next round of NVMe PCIe tests? It would be interesting to see how a budget option compares.
          Nope, I don't have the drive, hence why it wasn't tested. Sadly I don't get many SSD review samples so don't have quite a diverse selection of drives.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post
            On the Sqlite issue, there are several cases online where DBA's have noticed that certain implementations of TRIM do not like delayed writes of inserts. They prefer the insert be written each time rather than grouped.

I am not a DBA, but I have heard about various SSD models having database write back issues.

Perhaps this is what the Samsung models are struggling with.
            Almost all samsung consumer ssd are very very very slow with synchronous write. (so with database journals, zfs, ceph, ...). like 400 iops with 4k write. (vs 10000-20000 for datacenter ssd)

could be great to have an fio benchmark with --sync=1 .

Comment

OpenBenchmarking.org, Phoronix Test Suite, Linux benchmarking, automated benchmarking, benchmarking results, benchmarking repository, open source benchmarking, benchmarking test profiles

I tried to compare the Samsung SM961 in the NUC8i5BEH. The test ran for 4 hours and I used the computer during the test.

One write test failed to run. I have Fedora 29 with the XFCE spin installed at the moment.

I paid more than double for this NVME ssd compared to what it and competing drives cost now. If I made a purchase today it would probably be for the following:

I think the SP256GBP34A80M28 is the same as the MyDigitalSSD BPX Pro with a cheaper price.

Comment

the only two real tests are with databases. and optane destroys competition

Comment

Working...
                X