Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wayland's Weston 6.0 To Support XDG-Shell Stable, Helping Apps Like MPV Video Player

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayland's Weston 6.0 To Support XDG-Shell Stable, Helping Apps Like MPV Video Player

Phoronix: Wayland's Weston 6.0 To Support XDG-Shell Stable, Helping Apps Like MPV Video Player

While the current Wayland/Weston release cycle is a bit behind schedule, it has allowed time for another addition to be made to the Weston 6.0 compositor...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Imagine that, after 10+ years of development having window minimize support. Is this faster to market than if blind monkeys randomly typed on keyboards for 10 years?

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
      Imagine that, after 10+ years of development having window minimize support. Is this faster to market than if blind monkeys randomly typed on keyboards for 10 years?
      Um. Its had minimize support for 10 years, the protocol was just marked as unstable as it was still up for change, but everyone used it anyway.

Comment

I know that Weston was only ever meant to be a reference compositor, but has anyone made a run at using it as the basis for an actual desktop environment? I'm a reasonably* happy Mate on Arch linux user, but a lot of people find Mate to be somewhat archaic. The problem is everything else (I'm looking at you, gnome) is bloated, poorly functioning crapware built on top of other bloated crapware. I'm very tired of the argument "memory is cheap, who cares if an application uses a lot of memory?" No; hell no. I want my DE to be fast and snappy. I hate having to wait even 1 second for the focus to change or some such; this definitely impacts productivity. I'm old enough to remember Windows 2 running on an 80286; surely it's not too much to expect modern systems with 4Ghz multicore processors and 32G of RAM to perform at that speed?

* Don't try having 2 optical drives in the same machine, for example; it seems to be endlessly confused by this.

Comment

Originally posted by pgoetz View Post
          * Don't try having 2 optical drives in the same machine, for example; it seems to be endlessly confused by this.
          I think I know why:

You have them lined up parallel next to each other.

Imagine this is the optical drive: o

Now imagine 2 next to each other in parallel: oo

That's clearly an infinite loop ( ∞ ) which will lead your system to endless confusion.

Stack them vertically and problem is solved.

No need to thank me

Comment

How likely is it that unstable protocols will end up having to be kept around for decades to support "legacy apps"?

For instance, there exists:

xdg-shell-unstable-v5.xml
            xdg-shell-unstable-v6.xml
            xdg-shell.xml

When will Gnome, KDE and wlroots (Sway) support only xdg-shell.xml?

I found this place: https://github.com/wayland-project/w.../master/stable Notice there are only 3 stable protocols. Compare that to the unstable set: https://github.com/wayland-project/w...aster/unstable . There's a lot more there, many of which look quite essential for a functioning Wayland desktop environment.

I like that the unstable ones have "unstable" in the name. Hopefully this should help application devs to realize that they should move away from this protocol when a stable version is finalized.

Comment

I know that Weston was only ever meant to be a reference compositor, but has anyone made a run at using it as the basis for an actual desktop environment? I'm a reasonably* happy Mate on Arch linux user, but a lot of people find Mate to be somewhat archaic. The problem is everything else (I'm looking at you, gnome) is bloated, poorly functioning crapware built on top of other bloated crapware. I'm very tired of the argument "memory is cheap, who cares if an application uses a lot of memory?" No; hell no. I want my DE to be fast and snappy. I hate having to wait even 1 second for the focus to change or some such; this definitely impacts productivity. I'm old enough to remember Windows 2 running on an 80286; surely it's not too much to expect modern systems with 4Ghz multicore processors and 32G of RAM to perform at that speed?

Hi,

I'm pretty happy with budgie desktop on archlinux, don't use too much memory, full wayland support.

ps -aux|grep budgie
              user 1543 0.6 0.4 614548 67664 tty2 Sl+ 13:29 0:02 budgie-wm
              user 1609 0.5 0.4 1404232 71200 tty2 Sl+ 13:29 0:02 budgie-panel
              user 1671 0.1 0.4 478444 74616 tty2 Sl+ 13:29 0:00 budgie-helper
              user 1673 0.1 0.2 382884 36916 tty2 Sl+ 13:29 0:00 budgie-daemon
              user 1674 0.1 0.2 421688 44464 tty2 Sl+ 13:29 0:00 budgie-polkit-dialog

Comment

The problem is everything else (I'm looking at you, gnome) is bloated, poorly functioning crapware built on top of other bloated crapware. I'm very tired of the argument "memory is cheap, who cares if an application uses a lot of memory?" No; hell no. I want my DE to be fast and snappy. I hate having to wait even 1 second for the focus to change or some such; this definitely impacts productivity. I'm old enough to remember Windows 2 running on an 80286; surely it's not too much to expect modern systems with 4Ghz multicore processors and 32G of RAM to perform at that speed?
                Your new Android phone has 12 GB of RAM. Android apps are primitive as we all know. Not that many screens and options. For example, a mail client can only do very basic mundane tasks, but don't expect spam filtering or advanced redirection of mail to folders based on regex and so forth. Most users don't do serious multitasking on Android. So it's just logical that your desktop environment expects 32 gigs of RAM. Maybe even 64 gigs if you're a power user. 1 gig for the start menu, 15 gigs for a file manager window, 5 gigs for one LibreOffice Calc sheet, one gig for a notepad instance, one gig for calculator. It's that simple.
                Last edited by caligula; 16 February 2019, 09:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
                  1 gig for the start menu, 15 gigs for a file manager window, 5 gigs for one LibreOffice Calc sheet, one gig for a notepad instance, one gig for calculator. It's that simple.
                  Reading that hurt my soul :P

Comment

Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post
                    You have them lined up parallel next to each other.
                    Imagine this is the optical drive: o
                    Now imagine 2 next to each other in parallel: oo
                    That's clearly an infinite loop ( ∞ ) which will lead your system to endless confusion.
                    Stack them vertically and problem is solved.
                    No need to thank me
                    Thanks for the tip, but I'm not sure what you mean by this. My MB has a bunch of SATA ports. I have them both plugged into SATA ports (I believe SATA 0 and 1). How would I stack them vertically? AFAIK SATA doesn't support daisy chaining.

Comment

Working...
                    X