Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows 10 Will Soon Let You Access WSL Linux Files From Explorer, Other Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 10 Will Soon Let You Access WSL Linux Files From Explorer, Other Improvements

Phoronix: Windows 10 Will Soon Let You Access WSL Linux Files From Explorer, Other Improvements

With Windows 10 Version 1903 inching closer as the "April 2019" Update, Microsoft published a blog post on Friday night outlining the Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) changes they are making in this next installment of the operating system...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nothing to be worried about, they're still on early "embrace" stage...

Comment

Originally posted by losko View Post
      Nothing to be worried about, they're still on early "embrace" stage...
      Don't worry, we will reach the year of the linux desktop by the "extend" step, so we can safely say this will never happen

Comment

I've never used Windows 10. Would it be a reasonable guess that Explorer didn't support this from the beginning because WSL allows filenames that differ only in their case to coexist?

Comment

allow you to access "Linux files inside of File Explorer"
          ehh... but it has always been accessible, you just had to find them. The easiest way is by launching any WSL instance and then look for 'bash' or 'init' or any other linux process from the task manager and then right click and choose "open file location" and now you just make a shortcut for it.
          what they are adding is instant shortcuts right from explorer.exe instead of having to find it manually.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
            I've never used Windows 10. Would it be a reasonable guess that Explorer didn't support this from the beginning because WSL allows filenames that differ only in their case to coexist?
            No. It's because Linux files in WSL have Linux metadata (such as when you explicitly chown/chmod) in NTFS extended attributes. Windows applications usually don't know about these extended attributes, so they get cleared if you open them normally from Windows applications.

MS actually have started allowing per-directory settings for case sensitivity to make WSL interop better.

Comment

I just find the name confusing, should be called "the Linux subsystem for Windows", because the Linux stack is made part of windows, not vice versa.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
                I just find the name confusing, should be called "the Linux subsystem for Windows", because the Linux stack is made part of windows, not vice versa.
                I understand why you think that. However, it is Windows based subsystem designed for Linux compatibility.

Comment

Does Notepad.exe support Mac and UNIX style new lines yet?

Comment

Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post
                    Does Notepad.exe support Mac and UNIX style new lines yet?
                    Yup, but you can't create new files with anything but Windows (CRLF).

Comment

Working...
                    X