Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BACO Power Savings Support Comes To AMD's Vega 12

Phoronix: BACO Power Savings Support Comes To AMD's Vega 12

The latest addition to AMD's open-source Linux kernel driver is supporting BACO on Vega 12...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I still wonder what Vega 12 actually is and if we will see a product with this chip in the market at all. At least if Navi is still expected this summer.

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post
      I still wonder what Vega 12 actually is and if we will see a product with this chip in the market at all. At least if Navi is still expected this summer.
      Vega mobile in macbook pro 15" IIRC. Option of 20CU or 16CU.

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post
        Some Radeon Pro part according to techpowerup https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/amd-vega-12.g859

I wonder if Vega 3/6/8/11.. also get baco support etc. I think usually only Vega 10 is mentioned..

Comment

Originally posted by thxcv View Post
          Some Radeon Pro part according to techpowerup https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/amd-vega-12.g859

I wonder if Vega 3/6/8/11.. also get baco support etc. I think usually only Vega 10 is mentioned..
          Power Consumption is one of the metrics were we buy a card today..
          There are also work todo in that regard in Rx480/580/590 cards..
          I hope they does, or any similar feature..

Comment

Does anyone have measurements that compare power usage on Polaris and Vega between Windows 10 and Linux?

Comment

Originally posted by Space Heater View Post
              Does anyone have measurements that compare power usage on Polaris and Vega between Windows 10 and Linux?
              I only have Iddle values, in Gnu/Linux
              After using the profile Power Saving:
              Saphire Nitro+ Rx580 4GB - around ~34 Watts
              Saphire Nitro+ Rx580 8GB - around ~32 watts

All values in iddle,
              Without been attached to display, or doing any work
              Maybe with more recent drivers of AMDGPU this could change, also I don't know how much power the RGB leds on Rx580 comsume..

Maybe someone that has Other OSes installed could provide some values

Comment

Originally posted by Space Heater View Post
                I wrote a bit about it in this post.

tl;dr version:

RX570 4GB, measurements in idle
                • on Windows, latest Adrenaline drivers, card idled at 7.25W and could work fanless
                • on Linux, multiple kernels with AMDGPU, card idled at a minimum of 28W
                So from my experience, there is room for improvement on the AMDGPU side.
                I'm hopeful they will come.
                For now I returned the RX570. I'm still looking for and AMD card though.

Comment

Note that the BACO support on Linux is not currently wired up to runtime PM for power savings. It's currently being used as an additional GPU reset mechanism. It could also be used for power savings but that work has not happened yet.

Comment

Working...
                  X