Libre RISC-V GPU Aiming For 2.5 Watt Power Draw Continues Being Plotted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Libre RISC-V GPU Aiming For 2.5 Watt Power Draw Continues Being Plotted

Phoronix: Libre RISC-V GPU Aiming For 2.5 Watt Power Draw Continues Being Plotted

Besides having a dedicated Intel GPU to look forward to in 2020, the effort around creating an open-source RISC-V architecture based graphics processor continues being spearheaded by Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton and other libre hardware developers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It seems like open hardware is the next big thing. I'd love to see mobile devices eventually become open.

Comment

25 FPS @ 720p for a handheld/mobile device is not enough.
      It needs 60 fps @ 1080p at least. Anything less is not good enough to meet even the minimal expectations.

Also does it raytrace?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        Also does it raytrace?
        Does an NVIDIA RTX series card raytrace... with an open-source driver?

So it seems to me, when this libre card hits it off... Both of them will offer the same kind of functionality for me. Personally I will always go for the libre choice though

Comment

I still use a 720p LED projector, maybe that's one of their targets.
          720p is more than enough for a low-tier smartphone as well.

Comment

It needs 60 fps @ 1080p at least. Anything less is not good enough to meet even the minimal expectations.

Also does it raytrace?
            This could serve for a attached monitor to do some config's or launch a terminal..

Comment

Also does it raytrace?
              It does seem to be a bit under whelming. Frankly what could make such a chip a success (assuming good 1080p) is adoption on a Raspberry PI or even the Arduino platform. Honestly though this looks to be under powered even by Raspberry PI standards.

I have this idea that Raspberry PI would be the ideal platform upon which RISC-V could get some respectability and more frankly volume. This however doesn’t sound like the right implementation. In the ideal world the next iteration of PI would nearly double performance.

Comment

I don't know how chips are designed, but I doubt that you can aim at a power draw like that without first having a functionnal design. It sounds like putting the cart before the horse.

Comment

I wish they'd do dedicated cards or something (, too). Because some BGA-thingy is unusable for us people, and requires some vendor willing to install / solder one of these libre chips into the circuitry onto a board.
                  But I hardly see anyone doing this - unless the chip is somehow superb. (Just because it is libre is probably not enough these days for mass production. But then Raptor engineering and others seem to do, so maybe there is hope. But in terms of cell phones... uh-oh.)
                  Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

"25 FPS @ 720p, 5~6 GFLOPs"
                    "aggressive power consumption target"
                    "2.5 Watts."

Eh, RPi can do 25 GFLOPS and consumes less than 2.5 Watts. Using 40nm technology.

Comment

Working...
                    X