Qt Publishes A 2019 Public Roadmap: More Work On WebAssembly, Tooling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qt Publishes A 2019 Public Roadmap: More Work On WebAssembly, Tooling

Phoronix: Qt Publishes A 2019 Public Roadmap: More Work On WebAssembly, Tooling

The Qt Company has published a 2019 roadmap of sorts for areas they plan on focusing their resources this 2019 calendar year...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Can't they use their time and manpower to invest into something more down-to-earth like Wayland and Vulkan ?
    Also I'm still missing the "Creation date" on my favorite DE, can't they add a wrapper function around functions that get this kind of date on each filesystem ?
    This WebAssembly seems to to me right now the same misuse of resources as Mozilla is doing with WebVR, something that will benefit only 0.001 of users, in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
      Can't they use their time and manpower to invest into something more down-to-earth like Wayland and Vulkan ?
      This WebAssembly seems to to me right now the same misuse of resources as Mozilla is doing with WebVR, something that will benefit only 0.001 of users, in my opinion.
      Why would Digia, which markets Qt, spend their time writing code for Wayland and Vulkan as opposed to the product they're selling? How is writing code for their own product not "down-to-earth"? This doesn't make any sense.

WebAssembly frees the browser from the tyranny of Javascript. Qt is about a cross-platform UI and application platform. Many, many applications today are running in a browser. Adding WebAssembly support to allow Qt apps to target the browser is a logical, perhaps even necessary, step, and an exciting one.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
        They already invest quite some effort into Wayland, which is understandable as they are also targetting Single-Use embedded systems. Vulkan currently does not offer too much benefit compared to modern OpenGL.

Also I'm still missing the "Creation date" on my favorite DE, can't they add a wrapper function around functions that get this kind of date on each filesystem ?
        You mean https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qfileinfo.html#birthTime ?

Comment

Working...
        X