Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ASUS ZenScreen MB16AC USB-C Display Is Working Much Better With Modern Linux Distros

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASUS ZenScreen MB16AC USB-C Display Is Working Much Better With Modern Linux Distros

Phoronix: ASUS ZenScreen MB16AC USB-C Display Is Working Much Better With Modern Linux Distros

A year and a half ago shortly after the ASUS ZenScreen MB16AC USB-C Portable Monitor launched, we checked it out under Linux. This lightweight, 1080p 15-inch portable display could be made to work with the binary DisplayLink driver, but in trying it out now with Ubuntu 18.10, it's now a pleasant out-of-the-box experience...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Michael, two questions:

1) Is this working better because the closed binary driver has received new work? Or is there an open source driver which has matured?

2) Can you try setting up a second seat with that usb monitor? It would only take one assignment command and a reboot.

Comment

Even with glxgears the rendering wasn't smooth though I wouldn't recommend gaming with this USB-C display.
      Que?

Comment

Originally posted by ezst036 View Post
        Michael, two questions:

1) Is this working better because the closed binary driver has received new work? Or is there an open source driver which has matured?

2) Can you try setting up a second seat with that usb monitor? It would only take one assignment command and a reboot.
        If you look at screenshots he shared , he is on Mesa.

Comment

Originally posted by ezst036 View Post
          From what he describes, it sounds like he's taking advantage of the monitor being able to operate as a normal DisplayPort device, which requires no special drivers if the host system knows how to speak DisplayPort through a USB Type-C port via Alternate Mode.

(I have no devices with Type-C ports and no experience with Alternate Mode or any of its less standard precursors, so I don't want to say that authoritatively.)
          Last edited by ssokolow; 24 February 2019, 04:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
            This lightweight, 1080p 15-inch portable display could be made to work with the binary DisplayLink driver, but in trying it out now with Ubuntu 18.10, it's now a pleasant out-of-the-box experience
            Cool, but I don't get it. What DisplayLink support do then? Is it for USB 3.0 host devices, that doesn't have DisplayPort Alternate Mode support, or what?

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
              Cool, but I don't get it. What DisplayLink support do then? Is it for USB 3.0 host devices, that doesn't have DisplayPort Alternate Mode support, or what?
              Yes. It's dual-mode.

ZenScreen portable monitors are designed to boost productivity and enable entertainment while on the go. Compact and versatile, they’re easy to set up anywhere and can be used in various scenarios.

"15.6” FHD IPS USB Type-C portable monitor with hybrid signal solution for compatibility with USB Type-C and Type-A sources (Note: DisplayLink driver needed for Type-A connection)"

(for those following from home, USB Type A is the normal USB 3.0 port)

Comment

Michael I assume you are using it in DisplayPort mode, is this right? It's unclear in the article. Did you install any proprietary DisplayLink drivers? as this monitor requires proprietary DisplayLink drivers to be used in DisplayLink mode.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  Michael I assume you are using it in DisplayPort mode, is this right? It's unclear in the article. Did you install any proprietary DisplayLink drivers? as this monitor requires proprietary DisplayLink drivers to be used in DisplayLink mode.
                  Was using the USB-C connection for all testing using the default Ubuntu 18.10/19.04 drivers.
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                    Was using the USB-C connection for all testing using the default Ubuntu 18.10/19.04 drivers.
                    Ok, so you were using them in Display Port mode.

The proprietary driver is not included in the default Ubuntu installation, and they didn't even have one for 19.04 (yet). https://www.displaylink.com/downloads/ubuntu

Comment

Working...
                    X