Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rust 1.33 Released With Pinning, Library Stabilizations

Phoronix: Rust 1.33 Released With Pinning, Library Stabilizations

Golang 1.12 was released earlier this week while in the modern programming language spotlight today is the release of Rust 1.33...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Rust is really evolving into a magnificent development environment, but I wish they focused maybe a little bit less on web apps and webassembly and a little bit more on high-performance code and desktop applications, including finishing gnome-class for a 100% complete and robust gobject support.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
      Rust is really evolving into a magnificent development environment, but I wish they focused maybe a little bit less on web apps and webassembly and a little bit more on high-performance code and desktop applications, including finishing gnome-class for a 100% complete and robust gobject support.
      1. gnome-class isn't written by the same people. Your complaint is just a special case of the "GNOME needs more manpower" complaint that you hear every now and then.
      2. Pinning is very much a useful thing for high-performance code and desktop applications because it's required for their efforts to eventually provide a generator syntax. (Which, in Python, I love to use to easily and comfortably write iterators and other lazy abstractions for the internals of my non-web applications.)

Comment

gnome-class is not part of core Rust development.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

gnome-class is not part of core Rust development.
          That's my point. I believe it should be, and I would be much more interested in that than in the 1500th web application framework.

Comment

I believe it should be,
            No, it shouldn't be...
            For example, personally I would prefer to have more support for embedded development landing in stable. Some other guy would like more of something else. and so forth...

and I would be much more interested in that than in the 1500th web application framework.
            Absolutely!

For example Redox is much more interesting... Or on embedded side: Tock

Comment

Waiting for Weasel to arrive and start hating on Rust.

Comment

Pretty cool language, but the Ruby-inspired syntax and parts are off-putting. A bit difficult to understand.

Stuff like |foo| and &'a is weird. "pub" could be "public" and "fn" could be "function".

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                  Pretty cool language, but the Ruby-inspired syntax and parts are off-putting. A bit difficult to understand.

Stuff like |foo| and &'a is weird. "pub" could be "public" and "fn" could be "function".
                  FWIW I find those syntax choices are good ones, but that's a very superficial look at the language.

You really ought to look past the syntax, (at the core concepts, libraries, tools, community, etc) to figure out if a language suits you. That's true for every language, but even more for languages with a high learning curve and/or uncommon concepts, like Rust.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

They're not Ruby-inspired. Rust draws heavy inspiration from the ML family of languages, such as Standard ML, which uses fun to define a function and prefixing lines with | to indicate a multi-line function body. The compiler was even originally written in OCaml. Heck, abbreviated keywords are quite common in the world of functional languages which are popular in academia.

It'd be more correct to say that Rust is an ML-esque language that adopted a more C++-like syntax to gain mainstream appeal.

That said, I will agree that the 'a syntax for lifetimes is weird when we're so trained to see 'a as an unclosed character literal or string literal (depending on the language).

Comment

Working...
                    X