Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D9VK Forming As Direct3D 9 Over Vulkan Based On DXVK

Phoronix: D9VK Forming As Direct3D 9 Over Vulkan Based On DXVK

Joshua Ashton, the developer working for CodeWeavers who had been working on "DXUP" as a Direct3D 9/10 to D3D11 translation layer so that the output could be fed to DXVK for running on Vulkan is now developing the "D9VK" project...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Noice

Comment

Hi!

I'd like to stress this is not a CodeWeavers project or related to them in any way.

This is a me project.

Cheers!
      - Josh 🐸

Comment

DXUP works, and I thank the developer. But I use Gallium Nine for DX9, and it has high performance and smoothness.
        Moreover, performance is better than native Windows. Perhaps for Nvidia users, this will be an excellent lifeline. I really would like the G9 to work on Nvidia, because I have several mashines with 600 \ 700 line.

Comment

It's unclear if this is intended as a temporary fork or if ultimately the plan will be to try to merge back with DXVK, assuming upstream is interested.
          It would be awesome if DXVK natively handled DX 9 as well as DX 10 & 11.

JoshuaAshton - is this your long-term plan?

Comment

Originally posted by Maslou View Post
            DXUP works, and I thank the developer. But I use Gallium Nine for DX9, and it has high performance and smoothness.
            Moreover, performance is better than native Windows. Perhaps for Nvidia users, this will be an excellent lifeline. I really would like the G9 to work on Nvidia, because I have several mashines with 600 \ 700 line.
            Yes, DXUP has no CSMT and has very expensive state lookups

D9VK will be much more efficient with this and have CSMT.

Comment

Yes, the world needs another DX9 compatibility layer, we don't have enough of them yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Venemo View Post
                Yes, the world needs another DX9 compatibility layer, we don't have enough of them yet.
                It's my time, I'll do what I want with it, making something I want to make.

Comment

What the world doesn't need is advice from "helpful" people like you. Thank you for your taking time out of your busy day to share your wisdom with us! /s

Comment

Typically, that's the kind of thing I would say, because I'm usually against skilled developers focusing on unnecessary redundancy. But this project is definitely different. If this work could be merged into DXVK, that could potentially obsolete all other projects. It would be so much more user-friendly to only need 1 library, and who knows, maybe it could be merged into Wine and then they can strip out their old translation layer (though, I'm not keeping my hopes up for that). I think it'd be great for DXVK to be an "all-in-one" DirectX translation layer, ideal for newer PCs with newer capabilities.

Then, we have stuff like Gallium9, which is good for old or low-end PCs that aren't Vulkan compatible.

So, Ashton, keep up the work. I'm excited to see more.

Comment

Working...
                    X